• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SIMH fails to build

BitWiz

Experienced Member
Trying to build the latest SIMH from:

git clone https://github.com/simh/simh
with the following build command in the SIMH directory:

make BIN/simh

Causes a bunch of compiler warnings which then causes the build to fail.

Building on Raspberry Pi OS:

Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v7+ #1642 SMP Mon Apr 3 17:20:52 BST 2023 armv71 GNU/Linux

Attachments

• SIMHBuild.jpg
    SIMHBuild.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
What is the difference between the two?
Open-simh is a fork of simh. I'd suggest googling 'why did simh fork' for details, but suffice it to say it is a divisive issue.

open-simh does have an updated build system, so you might have better luck than with simh. I haven't built on raspbian recently, but could give it a try if you run into issues.

CW

make BIN/simh

Causes a bunch of compiler warnings which then causes the build to fail.
You might have better luck with "make BIN/pdp8".

The forking thing was nasty. The open-simh project seems to be the place to be these days. (Assuming the internals of SIMH are of interest. Otherwise it doesn't much matter.)

Vince

I downloaded your screen capture so I could read it, and it does look like you had typed the command correctly. So who knows why the build went bonkers.

I know the coding conventions (documented somewhere??) for SIMH have evolved since the PDP-8 code was done; maybe that's related.

Surely the QA process requires a simple "make" to build all the simulators successfully.

Interesting. I cloned the head of each repository. The open-simh finished building fine with "make -j4":
commit 487f243c2871a2db97bdfe8bea5e0df739341fda
Author: B. Scott Michel <scooter.phd@....com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 09:47:36 2023 -0700

Mark's repository can build simulators one at a time, but not if you just type "make".
commit 8db45253e086e6ba12dd6f058d427a2992c2e575
Author: Mark Pizzolato <mark@....com>
Date: Sat Jul 29 13:19:55 2023 -1000

These are on WSL2 Debian. I haven't been masochistic enough to try on my Pi 0 W.

In the absence of a compelling reason not to, just go with open-simh.

Back