• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Simple Technology brand 340 MB. type 3 PCMCIA HDD

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
Simple Technology brand 340 MB. type 3 PCMCIA HDD.

I bought this on eBay recently. I've got at least one laptop that has a compatible port. The laptop has Win98 SE, and it's a Compaq Presario 1220. The BIOS doesn't recognize the card as a hard drive, which I guess makes sense. As Windows 98 finished booting, it at least somewhat recognized the PCMCIA card and prompted me to choose a driver to install. I chose the native Windows one since I don't have a driver disk. The card does not show up in the drives under My Computer and I don't think it shows up under Device Manager either.

Do I need the card's OEM driver disk, or should the Win98 SE native drivers be able to do it? If I need a driver disk, can someone pinpoint one for me on the Internet?

And does this have actual spinning metal disks in it, or is it flash memory? It feels heavy enough that it could be spinning metal disks.

Attachments

• s-l1601.jpg
    s-l1601.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 5
  • s-l1602.jpg
    s-l1602.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5
  • s-l1603.jpg
    s-l1603.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 5
PCMCIA ATA cards should work in Windows 98 with the internal drivers. It always was a hit-and-miss for me as well, however.

Now of course you/we don't even know if that thing is still working. And yes, that is a real hard disk, not flash memory.

Back