• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Some problems with my 5160.

Serriously try it out then, its the most flexible parking utility I ever ran across. If memory serves me correctly, even includes the source. It allows a custom user defined setting of the parking cylinder.

It doesn't matter. It uses the "by the book" INT 13H interface. If you're using a drive and an adapter that supports >1024 cylinders, it'll park the heads right over a data cylinder. And, as I mentioned, depending on the BIOS, it may not even do anything.

I did a little one in 1988 as a giveaway. And it isn't right either. But that was 23 years ago and I was stupider then. Still, 97 bytes for a program that will park all your hard drives (or try to) display a message and halt your system isn't too shabby.

Attachments

• PARKAT.ZIP
    662 bytes · Views: 1
"Shutting down?" :)

Ask yourself if the original user of the 5160 ever did that 25 years ago. Try to find a mention of making a habit of that in any of the PC magazines.

No, nobody "shut down" a PC in those days. When you were through, you ended the program you were working with and flipped the Big Red Switch.
What I meant to say was turning it off properly.

What I meant to say was turning it off properly.

When we were first putting small computers in the office (long before the PC), we had problems with the mindset of the users, that, in my opinion, have only been partially solved today.

The first thing was the power switch. Users would have, say, a GL application open and enter some data and simply reach for the power switch after the last entry. After all, that's what you did when you were through using your desk calculator, typewriter or radio. Although we had our own OS, I know that this problem plagued CP/M applications also. Files open for writing present a problem--if you lose some data because of a power failure, how do you (a) make sure that the user knows that some data will be lost and (b) how does a transaction get backed out such that it's completely reversed and not just partially reversed?

The other problem was diskette changing. Users would simply pop diskettes in and out in advance of their being needed, often leaving files open for writing on the old set. Worst case was that the application would continue writing without realizing that the media had been changed and all hell would break loose. CP/M tried to solve this by periodically checksumming the first few sectors of the directory to make sure that the disk hadn't been changed. If it had, the status of the new disk was set to read-only. Their "cure" was almost worse than the problem--few programs knew how to gracefully back out of the situation. We simply sampled the write-protect sensor every quarter-second or so, and if we detected a disk being changed while it still had files open, beeped and flashed a message to put the disk back in--and didn't continue until it happened. Issues with corrupted files dropped amazingly.

MS-DOS was worse--because it keeps the directory and allocation information separate, you can easily get the two out of sync. Microsoft's answer was to give us CHKDISK. You can go over old problem reports with MS-DOS right through at least version 6.22 and read about DOS not seeing disk changes. Ultimately, the thing that saved DOS (and Windows) was the use of the "disk changed" status reporting on 1.2M/720K/1.44M floppies.

If you had a Mac, you simply couldn't eject a floppy manually (without using a straightened paperclip).

Perhaps with the dual-floating gate memory that I see being promised as the next big thing, we'll have systems that we can simply power off. I hate soft power switches--I don't think they're safe.

Do you think that the reason its not booting from the diagnostic disk is because the disk says "Diagnostics for IBM Personal Computer AT" and my computer is an XT?

Since the AT came with a 1.2MB floppy drive, it's a good bet that the diag disk would be a high density floppy (which means it wouldn't work in a double density 360k drive in an XT).

Since the AT came with a 1.2MB floppy drive, it's a good bet that the diag disk would be a high density floppy (which means it wouldn't work in a double density 360k drive in an XT).
Thats probably why the disk isn't bootable. But, it can read from the disk when I type DIR. It is, however missing COMMAND.COM. If I copied it from the hard drive to the diagnostic disk, then would it work?

Thats probably why the disk isn't bootable. But, it can read from the disk when I type DIR. It is, however missing COMMAND.COM. If I copied it from the hard drive to the diagnostic disk, then would it work?

No, this wouldn't work. The command.com on the diagnostics disk has the diagnostics engine merged into it, which is not the case with the regular DOS disk. The file may be hidden, though, but you should still be able to run it.

I suggest you try to get one of the XT diagnostics disks instead. If I remember corectly, the AT disk checks to see if it's actually running on an AT anyways, so you would problably not have gotten far even if command.com is there.

Yeah, I didn't get very far. When I would start up with the diagnostic disk in the drive, it displays, "Disk Boot Failure." Oh well, my 5 1/4 drives aren't here so I can't make a new disk until tomorrow. I hope the hard drive survives the trip back without being parked!?!

Would that hold true for other pre-386 computers, such as an IBM PS/2

It's actually true for any computer running DOS or similar OS-es. As long as no files are open, and that disk I/O isn't being performed, the system can be safely turned off using the powerswitch.

It's only in the later (approximately) 15 years PCs have been capable of turning themself off by hardware means, and no official version of DOS supports this feautre.

Back