• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sony CXQ70108D-8 (V20) CPU at 12MHz?

Dagwood

Experienced Member
I have an AGC AC1100-12 'TURBO BOARD' board that I've been tinkering on here and there, trying to get it working. It's CPU is a Sony CXQ70108D-8 which I understand is a V20 and I feel that it's original to the board. If the -8 on the CPU indicates 8 MHz then this would be a 50% overclocking. If this is an 8MHz rated CPU then... was such aggressive factory overclocking a thing? I think I'll pull the CPU and test it in a less intense environment.

Alright good, so it's not unheard of. I'll proceed to test the CPU elsewhere before I move on to the logic. Thank you.

3+ Years Later....

CPU tested good. No power rail shorts. U7 (74S175) was the hottest thing on the board at 150F so I replaced it and found a bunch of sand like debris under it. Now the board works. I think that sand is probably under all the chips because I found it under the socketed ones too. I forgot to test the old chip so I don't know if it was the issue or the debris. On this board that chip is part of the keyboard circuit. I know this because I spent some time troubleshooting a "BAD KEYBOARD" message to later discover the keyboard lock needs to be jumpered. So if your AGC AC1100-12 Turbo Board doesn't work and you haven't taken it to the beach lately then maybe check U7.

Back