• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sony SDT-9000 DDS SCSI Tape Drive & Windows 98

twillkickers

Experienced Member
I have connected up an SDT-9000 DDS Tape drive to my Pentium II windows machine but Microsoft Backup is not seeing it. Does this drive not work with the Microsoft Backup tools? Is there another backup tool I should download? I've tried going to the Sony website to download tools/drivers but all the links are redirecting to some other storage site... Not sure what happened but I'm guessing they no longer host the files. I've posted the link via the Wayback Machine for reference:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160416140249/http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/17

Thanks for any advice. FYI, Windows 98 recognized the drive upon installation and claims to have automatically installed drivers for it. It is showing up properly in device manager.

Generally for Windows Backup to see the drive it needs to have a drive configured and show up in device manager.

Third party backup software tends to have its own drivers.

Generally for Windows Backup to see the drive it needs to have a drive configured and show up in device manager.

Third party backup software tends to have its own drivers.

It is showing up correctly in device manager, however, it does not show up in the list of devices in Windows Backup. Could something else be wrong? Could my SCSI controller be causing problems? It is an Adaptec 29160N. I was able to get the official drivers for that adaptor on Adaptec's website with no problems. In addition, my tape drive is set to SCSI device 0 and it is terminated properly (I set the jumper pins to "TERMINATOR ENABLE" and "TERM. POWER ON" on the drive.) Let me know if I should check for anything else.

SDT-9000.jpg

If you'd like, I can dig my SDT9000 out from the pile and give it a go with Win98SE (I don't have any systems currently loaded with the first edition of Win98--too many issues) and an Adaptec 2940. Or you can use a third-party backup tool.

If you'd like, I can dig my SDT9000 out from the pile and give it a go with Win98SE (I don't have any systems currently loaded with the first edition of Win98--too many issues) and an Adaptec 2940. Or you can use a third-party backup tool.

I'd really appreciate that if you could do it! Let me know how it goes.

Meh, I've got a bunch of DDS drives, all external. I grabbed an SDT-5000 to try, as it's a plain 50-pin interface. Win98SE says I need a driver for it. XP sees it without comment, but XP backup apparently doesn't use tape drives--I'd have to go back to 2K, but that's not what you're running. I don't have to tell you about the adware, trojans, etc. on the web when it comes to drivers. Linux says "no problem, it's a tape drive".

Is it that you want to use the SDT-9000 on any backup package, or MSBackup on Win98 specifically?

When I try to click the link, it says "An error occurred while processing your request. Reference #50.ccfb4317.1600946480.15a1bb7d" Let me know if it's just me or if you can fix it.

Try this link. I gave you the url for my download, but apparently these things expire. Sorry for not realizing that. If you can't get the file, I'll post it privately.

The file self-extracts to a \cab directory; after running, go that directory and run the setup program.

Thanks for uploading! Although my tape drive shows up in the list on Colorado Update, it perpetually says "waiting for tape." I have inserted a tape and still nothing changes.
Colorado_Backup_Screenshot.jpg

That's not good; are you using, or can you install a DOS mode ASPI driver for your card? If so, I can pass along a couple of generic SCSI tape utilities that will at least make sure that your drive is working. I assume that when you insert a cartridge, you can hear it load, the BUSY light flickers a bit and the drive settles down with the BUSY LED dark and the TAPE light green.

I used the HP Colorado backup package on Win98SE and my SDT-5000 and successfully backed up about 10,000 files.

The thing about SCSI tape is that there's an ANSI standard set of basic commands that all drives have to support. I don't think that the Colorado package goes outside of that.

Back