• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Sound Cards For Sale Tracker

I question the value of posting links to auctions/sales that are priced at 5x or more over what the market will bear. Nobody is going to buy an SCC-1 for 410 euros, so why bother posting the link here?

I question the value of posting links to auctions/sales that are priced at 5x or more over what the market will bear. Nobody is going to buy an SCC-1 for 410 euros, so why bother posting the link here?

Perhaps to create a wack sense of normalcy? Someone apparently blew $625 on PeterLI's own outrageously overpriced LAPC-I and FB-01 listing.

I've seen some crazy pricing going on for sound cards lately. An MPU-401/AT pulled almost $300 for a boxed card, untested, about 6 weeks ago. There's another guy that seems to have several MPU-401/AT's, MT-32's, etc, and is selling them in computers, refusing to separate, and has a closed auction or two even at his heavily-inflated prices.

Anyone remember the LAPC-I, untested bare card that got $450 about 5 months ago??? Or the ever-present $80+ that any old GUS will gather.... let alone a more desirable one like an ACE. Crazy world... but then again, more and more of these things lie in the hands of collectors...

In my opinion, as with anything, there is no set value for anything.

True, but there are reasonable ranges. Most would agree that $600 for a vintage sound card is outside of what 99.9% of what people would pay. You just happened to find the 0.01% who would.

I own the only PC Mockingboard documented in existence and even I would be hesitant to sell it for that much. I also have an Interwave prototype, an M-Sound LPT DSP, and other crazy rare stuff, and I wouldn't ask that much for those either. I have two SCC-1s, three IBM MFCs, an Adlib Gold, etc. etc. etc. and I can't imagine actually selling any of them if I put out an opening bid of $200.

I wonder if a lot of this has to do with Chiptunes... not as popular as it was say last year in pop music, but certainly there's got to be some non-vintage computer fans buying up this stuff as well.

All "chiptunes" and chiptune references you hear in pop music are done with modern VST instruments, so I don't think that's it.

I think it's just an upturn in the economy after five years, and a new influx of people who used to be teens in the mid 1990s and are now early 30's and want to build DOS boxen to run old games.

I think it's just an upturn in the economy after five years, and a new influx of people who used to be teens in the mid 1990s and are now early 30's and want to build DOS boxen to run old games.

Or they want to finally get their hands on the fancy sound cards they couldn't afford back then, when they had to settle for a cheap SB clone instead of a GUS or Roland.

All "chiptunes" and chiptune references you hear in pop music are done with modern VST instruments, so I don't think that's it.

Wasn't there a card made fairly recently for modern-era PC's for producing music using SID chips harvested out of old C-64s?

Wasn't there a card made fairly recently for modern-era PC's for producing music using SID chips harvested out of old C-64s?

Not a card, but a standalone box:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektron_SidStation

sidstation.jpg

It was famously used by music producer "Timbaland" to rip off a C64 chiptune and use it as part of a Nelly Furtado song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbaland_plagiarism_controversy

Back