• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Source for Radio Shack DMP/DW Ribbons?

atod

Experienced Member
Hi Folks,

I'm considering purchasing a older DMP-100/110/500 or Daisy Wheel II printer. Does anyone know if compatible ribbons are still available for these models? I searched but couldn't find anything. I saw an older TRS-80 Line Printer IV, but couldn't find ribbon source for that either.

Thanks

I've had a couple of requests, through trs-80.org.uk, for ribbons for the LP VII (DMP 100) and the 'mini plotter' CGP 135 inks, from guys here in the UK. We'll be interested to hear if you manage to find a supplier.

Hi Folks,

I'm considering purchasing a older DMP-100/110/500 or Daisy Wheel II printer. Does anyone know if compatible ribbons are still available for these models? I searched but couldn't find anything. I saw an older TRS-80 Line Printer IV, but couldn't find ribbon source for that either.

Thanks
Try this: http://www.ecrater.com/p/7790336/tandy-computer-ribbon-cartridge-dmp-107-130

If you can't find a ribbon supplier, you can try to 're-ink' the old ribbon. Used to be some kits for that back in the day, but an old stamp pad works pretty good in a pinch.

I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a Diablo 630. I saw a Brother HR-1 on Ebay. It looks like they still make replacement cartridges for that, however the ribbon doesn't advance on that unit.

Shipping on a Diablo 630 will kill you--it's a heavy beast. I tried to get rid of one here for nearly 2 years. I still have a NEC Spinwriter, however.

Hi Folks,

Thanks

After hunting for a wekk, calling places (at least 20) in the US and in the UK, I found that the DMP ribbons are non-existent.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...rix-printer-ribbons&highlight=Printer+ribbons

The best bet is a different printer, or re-inking/re-ribboning.

atod:

I'm assuming that you're going to use that DMP-130 on a Tandy product. If that's so, keep in mind that the cable is Tandy proprietary w/ an edge connector on the pc side. If you intend to use it on a non-Tandy pc, you can use a standard RS-232 printer cable, however you must first put a piece of tape over pin 33 (I believe it's pin 33 - I'll need to pull my cable out and check it to be sure). The DMP-130 can be made to emulate the IBM ProPrinter and does a fairly good job of it.

Hi Folks,

Thanks

I have a DMP-430 and couldn't find anything for that either. I used a similarly sized ribbon, in this case for a Epson FX-100/LQ1000, and wound it into the DMP-430s cartridge. Some disassembly required, of course. Works great. :cool:

Back