• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

spare st external floppy drive?

fengland

I found a 520st without the floppy drive or power supply. Does anyone have an extra of either of these they'd be willing to sell? I have an internal st floppy I might try to adapt if I can't find one.

there are a number on ebay, various prices. I just made a deal from a seller on craigslist - two for $50 plus shipping if that helps price them. Not sure if they work.

You can use a standard 3.5" floppy drive if you've got the right cable with that funny DIN plug. (I may still have such a cable in my hellbox). All you need is a power supply for the drive. ISTR that the original 520ST floppy drive was single-sided.

I guess I'll try to homebrew it. I have a dead 1040st too, maybe I can use it's floppy drive if I can find the right cable to adapt. Thanks.

that's true, but the 520 doesn't have the internal connectorsfor the floppy and power supply. And some of the jacks are in different places, like the midi jacks are on the back, so it probably wouldn't fit exactly. What's the problem with the 1040? maybe I could try to fix it.

I'll look for unpopulated headers. It's an old 520st though before they had internal floppy drives, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is just the external connector.

I'm having trouble following the thread. The 520ST does not have an internal floppy header. None. Zilch. It only has the external DIN connector. Is that what's missing? If so, a floppy-less (i.e. missing the DIN connector) 520ST would be very unusual.

The discussion morphed from seeking an external floppy drive to whether or not it is feasible to migrate a 520 logic board into a 1040 chassis with a dead logic board (thus forgo the need for an external floppy drive.)

The discussion morphed from seeking an external floppy drive to whether or not it is feasible to migrate a 520 logic board into a 1040 chassis with a dead logic board (thus forgo the need for an external floppy drive.)

Not without a bunch of rework of the board and having case holes in the wrong places, as I recall. You'd have to devise a way to connect a floppy cable to the board (i.e. soldering) and also provide power to the floppy. More work that it's worth, methinks. And you lose the original 520ST case.

would the 520 logic board fit in a 1040? If it does, that might be a clearer approach.

that's true, but the 520 doesn't have the internal connectorsfor the floppy and power supply. And some of the jacks are in different places, like the midi jacks are on the back, so it probably wouldn't fit exactly. What's the problem with the 1040? maybe I could try to fix it.

Last time I powered it up, it was cycling some colour. Hasn't tried it since.

Back