• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Speed Issues On Games Despite Meeting System Requirements

Oh, and FWIW, when I first got the machine from the last guy, he had DOOM installed on it. Seemed to play fine then, with pretty much the same hardware (minus RAM, network card, and CD-ROM drive).

When you were checking this, was the mobo out of the case? PC speaker plugged in? sometimes that can give indication of a problem if there's no video too...

It was in the case, no pc speaker, monitor plugged in.

New motherboard gets here tomorrow. Lets hope everything goes smoothly!

Hey, my old PC. ;)

In case this hasn't been mentioned already, you should re-enable shadow ROM bios, and I would check the bus multipliers. I tinkered around in the BIOS a bit so things might not be optimal for gaming presently.

I love it! Despite the problems, she's a grand system. I wouldn't spend so much time and effort on it if I wasn't in love!

I love it! Despite the problems, she's a grand system. I wouldn't spend so much time and effort on it if I wasn't in love!

That's good. I am astonished that you're having so much trouble with games though! Granted mostly I used the machine to transfer stuff via FTP/SMB so that I could image floppies, so I never really used it much outside of those applications. I loved that case though, so stout!

I ran across these links here, which I believe are the jumper settings for that mobo, I don't see any way to jumper it for no cache:

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/vs486f.txt.html
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/vs486f.gif

Also, I am not for certain, but I might have run across a drive bay blank in my collection of pieces parts last night that may belong to this case. When I got it it didn't have a CD-ROM drive so only a 5.25" floppy was present in the big bays. No guarantees though, but I can send it on to you if you'd like to have it.

That's good. I am astonished that you're having so much trouble with games though! Granted mostly I used the machine to transfer stuff via FTP/SMB so that I could image floppies, so I never really used it much outside of those applications. I loved that case though, so stout!

I ran across these links here, which I believe are the jumper settings for that mobo, I don't see any way to jumper it for no cache:

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/vs486f.txt.html
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/vs486f.gif

Also, I am not for certain, but I might have run across a drive bay blank in my collection of pieces parts last night that may belong to this case. When I got it it didn't have a CD-ROM drive so only a 5.25" floppy was present in the big bays. No guarantees though, but I can send it on to you if you'd like to have it.

Nah, that's ok. I love the setup exactly as it is. Thanks for the offer though! I'm 99% sure that replacing the motherboard will end my woes (at least I freaking hope so!).

That's amazing that you used it with FTP. I gotta figure out how to do that one of these days.

Nah, that's ok. I love the setup exactly as it is. Thanks for the offer though! I'm 99% sure that replacing the motherboard will end my woes (at least I freaking hope so!).

That's amazing that you used it with FTP. I gotta figure out how to do that one of these days.

Windows for Workgroups with Microsoft TCP32 added. I used a combination of the ws_ftp and command line ftp applications.

A FTP client is included with TCP32 which also can be used on a plain Win3.1 box with Trumpet Winsock providing the tcp/ip stack. It works rather well.

A FTP client is included with TCP32 which also can be used on a plain Win3.1 box with Trumpet Winsock providing the tcp/ip stack. It works rather well.

I guess I'm just not sure how that all ties in with a modern PC. Not sure how to make the two communicate...but hey, I'm sure I'll figure it out!

I guess I'm just not sure how that all ties in with a modern PC. Not sure how to make the two communicate...but hey, I'm sure I'll figure it out!

Install an FTP server on the modern PC, such as FileZilla Server. Then you can download and upload files from the old machine via the FTP client.
Mind you, an old Win3.1-compatible browser such as Netscape Navigator can also access FTP sites, so that may be the most user-friendly.

Sounds easy enough. But I guess before I do any of that, I should probably just the thing working to begin with. ;)

yeah ftp is easy to setup. When i played with my Compaq Portable III clone i set up a simple webserver on my normal working laptop and i thought like "Ah just fire up IE and download the s**t from your main PC, 10 MBit network card ftw". When i actually did that i thought i'd have a 10 MB file trasfered in like...hmmm 10 seconds or so? And when i actually clicked the link i was like "fuuuuuuuuuu.... Is this a 14.4K modem or a 10 MBit network card????". bring some patience...

I Agree.... I was never satisfied with local FTP. I would get 10 to 50 times faster results from internet FTP transfers than I would from a local one. I get faster transfers copying files to a USB stick on my DOS machine and then transferring those files from the USB stick to my main machine. :) Of course, nothing's faster than sticking a Windows drive into my tweener and transferring files via the network. I have two mobile drive bays in my tweener so the possibilities are nearly unlimited.

Got the new motherboard. Hooked it up. Everything appears to be working. It's certainly faster than that last, but is it as fast as it should be? Still not sure, but at this point, I don't think I care anymore.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread in an effort to track down my problem. I love tinkering even if it means destroying a motherboard and I'm glad you were all able to be a part of the journey. I absolutely love this system, so big thanks to geoff for hooking me up.

Back