• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Speed Issues On Games Despite Meeting System Requirements

The HDD won't be bottlenecking Doom with 8 MB, let alone 32 MB. The whole game will fit in memory, so it's only on start of the game that the HDD affects the performance, and whenever it needs to load new level data. But it won't affect the general framerate in-game.

Figured as much, but I'm running out of ideas! Lol

It'll be a while before the new MB comes in, if I get bored I'll pull the cache and rearrange. If I do so, I'll post back with the results.

Any tips on getting them out without bending the pins? Seems impossible.

Does cache order matter? I removed and rearranged the cache, put it all back together and now it won't boot to bios.

Does cache order matter? I removed and rearranged the cache, put it all back together and now it won't boot to bios.

There were a few caches with different chips in different positions so hopefully you kept a picture of the original layout and can reduplicate it. Tag chips and cache ram chips are not interchangeable.

More likely, in the removing/replacement process, one of the chips wasn't correctly inserted and you just have to correct the mistake. That includes the annoying design that provided sockets with more holes than the chips have pins and one needs to leave the correct holes empty. I hope that there was not an ESD event that made a chip fail; it is usually difficult to find a single failed chip.

There were a few caches with different chips in different positions so hopefully you kept a picture of the original layout and can reduplicate it. Tag chips and cache ram chips are not interchangeable.

More likely, in the removing/replacement process, one of the chips wasn't correctly inserted and you just have to correct the mistake. That includes the annoying design that provided sockets with more holes than the chips have pins and one needs to leave the correct holes empty. I hope that there was not an ESD event that made a chip fail; it is usually difficult to find a single failed chip.

Huh? They all look exactly the same. Look at the photo.

Except the chips have a difference. The chip located at the top of the set with a colored mark has a different number on it than the rest of the set. Haven't checked the specs to see if that actually matters. Sorry, I was thinking of the general case (cache using mix of chip types) as opposed to double checking the specific motherboard. My mistake for not being clear.

I suspect you either have a chip that isn't in its socket or one chip got zapped and no longer works.

Oh wow, you are absolutely correct. I missed that. I probably just have to switch that one back around. I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much! Good eye!

Put the cache with the red dot back to its original position, powered on...still no bios. Considering I can't tell the difference between all the other pieces, I think this one is dead in the water.

Put the cache with the red dot back to its original position, powered on...still no bios. Considering I can't tell the difference between all the other pieces, I think this one is dead in the water.

Pull all cache chips and turn off L2 cache in BIOS. Not like external cache does a lot anyways.

Pulled all the cache, still no boot to bios.

I give up. If you would like this motherboard, PM me. You can have it for the cost of shipping.

Too late now obviously, but I found out that JP9 is in the wrong place, it's currently across pins 2-3, which is for 1MB Cache, should be 1-2 for 256k

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...YSTEMS-INC-486-VS486F-S-3VL.html#.VdPlBpc0bRk

Some of the cpu speed jumpers are in the wrong place.

Assuming of course that the information on that page is correct for Your motherboard.

Huh? I'm looking at the board right now. They all appear to be in the correct position.

Are they still in the same places as the photo You posted previously?

For instance JP9 Pin 1 is closest to the ISA slots, pin 3 is farthest away. The jumper should be across pins 1 and 2

JP30 looks as though it's integrated into the design, as that block appears to start at JP12, maybe a later revision than
what is on the link.
Edit.. Found another link http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/U-Z/31707.htm

EDIT Deleted statement about TAG ram, my PCI/ISA mobo has exactly the same chip used for tag cache as the other 8 cache chips and
there is no guarantee the information on that link is accurate.

I noticed this too, dust or corrosion? Clean it with a cotton tip and either metho or isopropyl alcohol
dustorcorrosion.jpg

According to the information I can find, and I'll let someone else advise about the cache setup if they want, here is jumper settings for a Intel 486 dx2-66

JP9 Pins 1-2
JP10 Pins 1-2
JP7 Pins closed(on)
JP11 Pins 2-3
JP5 closed (on)
JP6 open (off)
JA1 2-3
JP4 2-3
JP8 2-3
JP30 (Doesn't appear to exist in this revision according to photo)
JP12 closed
JP15 open
JP16 closed
JP17 closed
JP18 closed
JP19 2-3
JP25 2-3
JP26 2-3
JP13 closed
JP14 open

Considering that a fair few of these are different than what is in the photo You posted, and that You have a while till You get the new mobo, and
that a good working spare is always nice to have, I would definitely give it one last try, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Are they still in the same places as the photo You posted previously?

For instance JP9 Pin 1 is closest to the ISA slots, pin 3 is farthest away. The jumper should be across pins 1 and 2

JP30 looks as though it's integrated into the design, as that block appears to start at JP12, maybe a later revision than
what is on the link.
Edit.. Found another link http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/m/U-Z/31707.htm

EDIT Deleted statement about TAG ram, my PCI/ISA mobo has exactly the same chip used for tag cache as the other 8 cache chips and
there is no guarantee the information on that link is accurate.

I noticed this too, dust or corrosion? Clean it with a cotton tip and either metho or isopropyl alcohol
View attachment 25942

According to the information I can find, and I'll let someone else advise about the cache setup if they want, here is jumper settings for a Intel 486 dx2-66

JP9 Pins 1-2
JP10 Pins 1-2
JP7 Pins closed(on)
JP11 Pins 2-3
JP5 closed (on)
JP6 open (off)
JA1 2-3
JP4 2-3
JP8 2-3
JP30 (Doesn't appear to exist in this revision according to photo)
JP12 closed
JP15 open
JP16 closed
JP17 closed
JP18 closed
JP19 2-3
JP25 2-3
JP26 2-3
JP13 closed
JP14 open

Considering that a fair few of these are different than what is in the photo You posted, and that You have a while till You get the new mobo, and
that a good working spare is always nice to have, I would definitely give it one last try, but that's just me.

I don't think there's much of a point. With those settings, the mobo booted to bios every single time. Once the cache was rearranged, it would no longer boot to bios and when I removed the cache entirely, it still wouldn't boot to bios. Since there's no jumper setting for 0 cache, I don't think tinkering with the jumpers is going to get me anywhere.

Did a clean boot...yeah, doom ran pretty awesome with max detail. Ok, so something in the config or autoexec file is making things crappy. Time to find out which.

Hey, my old PC. ;)

In case this hasn't been mentioned already, you should re-enable shadow ROM bios, and I would check the bus multipliers. I tinkered around in the BIOS a bit so things might not be optimal for gaming presently.

I could only go on the photo You posted previously, and the jumper settings were wrong for cpu speed and cache configuration.
As You mentioned, at least the cpu speed related jumpers must have been correct at some point when You could get a bios screen, but
theres a chance that the only problem You had was incorrect jumper settings for cache.

Sorry if this is a bad question, but the power connectors did have the black leads at the middle when You reconnected everything?
I assume You had power turn on even if no bios screen.

I don't think there's much of a point. With those settings, the mobo booted to bios every single time. Once the cache was rearranged, it would no longer boot to bios and when I removed the cache entirely, it still wouldn't boot to bios. Since there's no jumper setting for 0 cache, I don't think tinkering with the jumpers is going to get me anywhere.

When you were checking this, was the mobo out of the case? PC speaker plugged in? sometimes that can give indication of a problem if there's no video too...

Back