• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Starting a new hoard

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
I have decided, after seeing the prices in both the VCF Marketplace and EBay, to attempt to start my own hoard again. I originally had a decent sized one, with quite a few rare and hard to get odds and ends, but ended up having to downsize at certain times, when i was also compelled to scale back in my forum activities. I think i am now at a point where i can try to make my hoard what it once was, but with a bit less mess, meaning systems that don't get used. Ideally i want one testing machine, a tweener, and a daily driver from circa early 80's, i have the last one down, my old zenith z-158. For a tweener i can't decide on cleaning up and repairing my portable 3, or building a whole machine from ground up with either a 286 or 386, i have a k6-2 i could press into service, but that means finding everything to build around it.

Main part is, i miss and want to regrow my hoard now that i am able to again.

Suggestions on where to start?

My last hoard just fell into my lap over the course of a year, and i've got the "itch" again...

Suggestions on where to start?

Where ever you want. That is the fun about this hobby or obsession as my wife calls it, is we can do whatever we want. I think you have a good idea about a testing machine, a tweener, and a daily driver. Why not leave it there? Pick some systems that have some sentimental value.

When I had a large collection, I had a PC, an XT, and an AT, then I had an Aptiva Stealth as my tweener, then my Dell XPS 720 as my main machine. Of course all of that was before a bomb was dropped on my house... proverbially, not literally.

So keep us informed on what you want to do...

Back