• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Starting my Commodore Collection

retroplace

Hello there,

I have just recently started my Commodore Collection (okay, I had a C64 already, but that does not really count, huh?). It began why I saw a KIM-1 to be sold on ebay. I heard about it before but I did not realize it was the grandfather of the first computer I ever coded on – the CBM PET Series 4016. That was back when I was 12 in 1982.

The KIM appeared to be in great nick, so I bought it. When it arrived in December, I did not even know how to fire it up, but after reading the manual, I sorted it out and it worked like a charm. Here is what it looks like:

IMG_7564 small.jpeg

I build that case. Because I really liked the look of it, I made a small badge and sell now (look in the marketplace of this forum).

Then, in January, I finally saw a 4016 that sold very close to my hometown (Munich, in Germany). It was just a one hour drive away and sold for just 450 Euro. Also in great nick, but the front label is missing. Here is what it looks like:

145399781_10157832633822611_5054486338543965074_o.jpg

I meanwhile restored the keyboard as a few keys have not been very responsive. Still to do: The CAPS-Lock seem broken. But Apart from that, everything is awesome. I also bought the SD2PET which really makes this thing a rollercoaster to my youth.

Hope you like those pics.

Best

Armin

I started my collection in 1982. Really I just never got rid of any of my old computers. I didn't really start "collecting" until about 15 years ago and didn't get involved in the community until about 3 years ago.
What got you started buying obsolete computers? I think I read some article online that prompted me to pull my old computers out of storage and then I ended up looking on Ebay.

I'd love to add a KIM to the collection but I can't spend that much on one.
DSCN1171_b.jpg

My Dad used to have the calculators, he was a big fan of them at the time. But they all failed. I tossed them when he passed years ago.

Did you do the lucite "case" treatment to the KIM, or did you buy it that way? I wonder what the vintages were with the different colored circuit boards. Mine was green.

Just curious--who has a Commodore wristwatch? How about a calculator?

The GL-986R I have is one of Commodore's "Green Line" calculators which was their first line to use fluorescent rather than red LED displays. Also has a rechargeable battery which (at least to me) is pretty impressive for a handheld calculator from 1975.

A co-worker of mine jumped the mainframe ship around 1975 or so and went to work for Commodore. Her project was a scientific unit with VFD; I think the SR1800. She showed me the prototype in an open plywood box, with wires trailing here and there. VFDs were still pretty new then, so I noticed the display right away. She was one-half of a twin act, with her sister working for GE in the appliance division. Very sharp--and good-looking, but the chatter between identical twins was enough to drive one crazy.

Has noone asked what you paid for that Kim-1? How much? I dont consider a Kim-1 a commodore collectible item in the same way a Zora Arkus-Duntov Prototype isnt a corvette (Id kill for a Manta Ray).

Who owns a Commodore Max? Thats one Id like to get.

Just curious--who has a Commodore wristwatch? How about a calculator?

Bought a Commodore calculator in 2019. It has red plasma numbers and looks awesome! (and it still works).

I have also been looking for a KIM-1 for some time... and last week I actually bought one. I just hope it arrives in one piece. :)

I'm wondering if any of the early wristwatches survived. I have a National Semiconductor watch that died long ago of about the same age as the Commodore (which could be had for $15 retail).

I have two Commodore MAXes. They're neat as collector's items, but they are truly dire computers, even by the standards of the day.

Put another way: I would be more productive with a KIM-1 than an Ultimax.

I have two Commodore MAXes. They're neat as collector's items, but they are truly dire computers, even by the standards of the day.

Put another way: I would be more productive with a KIM-1 than an Ultimax.

Engineers: We made a KIM-1, its a computer.
Marketing: Its selling in the hundreds.
Management: Great, lets make something else.
Engineers: We made the PET, its a computer.
Marketing: Its selling in the thousands.
Engineers: We made a VIC-20, its a computer.
Marketing: Its selling in the millions.
Engineers: F... you, here is the MAX.

Back