• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stay away from tvrsales on ebay

Stay away from tvrsales on ebay

• I'm grabbing all I can afford.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I'm staying out of this.

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters
This is not a question of theft, its whether the landlord has acquired a right to sell the property over which, by virtue of it being on his premises, he has custody and possession. Sellam has not abandoned his property. If the landlord has secured the proper legal judgments, the property can be sold to cover the back rent owed and other expenses, including expenses for continuing storage. What property remains thereafter Sellam could reclaim, maybe off the sidewalk. As long as the landlord acts in a commercially reasonable manner, the purchaser would be protected even if Sellam later got a court to agree that he was wrongfully evicted or the landlord acted improperly in some way. Only if the court entered such a judgment and the buyer had notice of it could Sellam reclaim his property.

My concern is that the buzzards are buying up these computers at rock bottom prices with the intent on reselling them on ebay at 2 to 3 times what they paid. We've seen this happen may times before and know who they are.
I would rather see these go to members that have a passion for old machines than some opportunist that only sees dollar signs.

Last edited:
My concern is that the buzzards are buying up these computers at rock bottom prices with the intent on reselling them on ebay at 2 to 3 times what they paid. We've seen this happen may times before and know who they are.
I would rather see these go to members that have a passion for old machines than some opportunist that only sees dollar signs.

I don't know about rock bottom prices. An Apple ][+ for $241? If anybody thinks they can turn that around for a quick profit, they ought to be committed. :lol: Ebay is no longer a site you can score deals on like you used to, especially if the auctions are well listed. Actually given how astonishingly crazy some ebay would-be profiteers are, we very well might see that that Apple soon for a BIN of only $999. :lol: (and keep seeing it relisted for a decade).

Last edited:
I don't know about rock bottom prices. An Apple ][+ for $241? If anybody thinks they can turn that around for a quick profit, they ought to be committed. :lol: Ebay is no longer a site you can score deals on like you used to, especially if the auctions are well listed. Actually given how astonishingly crazy some ebay would-be profiteers are, we very well might see that that Apple soon for a BIN of only $999. :lol: (and keep seeing it relisted for a decade).

I agree that tvr sales auctions are not bottom feeder auctions. However, some really cool and otherwise unseen stuff is appearing. The prices are not steals. When you factor in shipping costs, no money to be made there. With that said, I have not found a single thing to buy from them. Furthermore, I don't like the story so I am not displeased that my will power limits have not been tested.

As far as the quick profit thing. Every now and then, if you are lucky with your timing, a buy it now item comes up real cheap by an uninformed person. It is pretty rare, but happens now and then.

Generally, the person who got a good deal is one that obtained something they want at a slight discount (mostly because of the volume of stuff he is putting on).

Most people who buy things on ebay to resell them at a profit...lose. The ones that have a ton of information on a particular item can find rare that someone else missed. This is true of real life auctions as well. I know someone that bought some Titanic marconigrams at Southeby's and later resold them at 10 times the price. He simply knew something others did not.

I'm mostly a Mac person, only recently got into DOS PCs. Looking at the picture of that collection is mind boggling. What are some non-Mac items in there that are really cool? I see a red tower on the rack. Maybe an SGI?

I agree that tvr sales auctions are not bottom feeder auctions. However, some really cool and otherwise unseen stuff is appearing. The prices are not steals. When you factor in shipping costs, no money to be made there. With that said, I have not found a single thing to buy from them. Furthermore, I don't like the story so I am not displeased that my will power limits have not been tested.

As far as the quick profit thing. Every now and then, if you are lucky with your timing, a buy it now item comes up real cheap by an uninformed person. It is pretty rare, but happens now and then.

Generally, the person who got a good deal is one that obtained something they want at a slight discount (mostly because of the volume of stuff he is putting on).

Most people who buy things on ebay to resell them at a profit...lose. The ones that have a ton of information on a particular item can find rare that someone else missed. This is true of real life auctions as well. I know someone that bought some Titanic marconigrams at Southeby's and later resold them at 10 times the price. He simply knew something others did not.

It's true, I have also found a few good deals because of miss-spellings and taken gambles on items with bad photos (got lucky a few times, disappointed a few other times). But largely the stuff that's worth anything sells for what it is worth these days. I think with these auctions nobody is going to get away with a real deal on anything - maybe if they need something for their collection, but not if they plan to resell it. The disappointing thing is that when the really rare or unique items come up they may disappear forever into somebody's personal hoard.

Hello.

I'd like to provide some factual dispensation for this discussion and to add detail to clear up any confusion.

1. After the unlawful detainer hearing I presented the landlord's secretary with the exact amount due and owed for back rent--the amount sued for. It was refused. Under the California Commercial Code and Uniform Commercial Code, refusal of payment tendered is discharge of the debt, to the extent of the amount tendered. Under the law, the debt was paid, and they should have released my stuff to me, but they did not. By operation of law, after the eviction and unlawful detainer they were required to allow me to retrieve my property, but they refused.

2. No proper notice was ever given by the landlords until they followed my prescriptive writings and sent me a notice of sale weeks after the initial lockout, despite the fact that I had made my demands numerous and well known that I was ready and waiting to retrieve my property and remove it to another already (for two months) rented warehouse.

3. When I had the wherewithall to remove my property the landlords would not let me have it. I was unaware of the lockout until 11 days after because no notice was sent, as required by California statute. They locked me out for over 2 months, and when I finally got access I was more broke than before (having materially lost out on numerous money making deals because the landlords would not let me have access to my revenue generating property), and the rainy season had started with a fury the same week I began the move, whereas for 2 months it was nice and dry. Their own negligence and recalcitrance contributed heavily to the delay in removing my property, both materially and indirectly.

4. Once I regained possession, the landlords were paid all the way up until I had to break to take care of business, raise some money, and deal with legal issues regarding my foreclosure. The deal I made with the landlord before I broke was to return with money to pay for the days during the break forward through the expected end date of the 20th. He got his attorney involved again and made unreasonable demands to allow me to resume moving, reneging on our previous agreement and refusing to negotiate in good faith. I now believe it was his intent to steal my property.

5. This matter took time away from my fight against the bank that is trying to unlawfully foreclose on my house. Due in part to this distraction and my attempts to help a friend prevent eviction from his unlawfully foreclosed house, I was unable to stop the sale of mine in October, further exacerbating my issues and now causing me to be torn between two major legal battles in two separate counties. I hope no one ever lands themselves in a similar situation. I will have extreme sympathy for you.

6. Yes, I was perhaps too proud to ask for help when I could. But truth be told, I didn't expect the landlords to be such assholes. I was always amicable with them and was bringing them money on a schedule I said I could, which was on a reasonable timeline. They just became impatient and irate, unreasonably in my opinion. They could have readily marketed the building while I was moving out but chose not to, instead playing some sort of game where they wanted me out but then wanted me to stay if I entered into a new lease, which I was unwilling to do since I had already found a cheaper warehouse. Yes, I could have raised money faster before I defaulted, but there was a lot more going on behind the scenes than I've discussed. Yes, I made mistakes, but that doesn't mean a man should have his possessions callously stolen from him.

7. Yes, I consider this property stolen, as it is mine and has been unlawfully taken from me. I realize you may have a differing personal opinion. However, it's the legal opinion that matters, and I believe I have the advantage there. We'll eventually find out.

8. What's wrong with defending one's own interests in a legal venue when one is fully capable and competent to do so? I see this unsettling disparagement of those who defend themselves and it irks me, because the legal description of one who hires an attorney is a mental incompetent (non compos mentis). There are both legal and practical reasons why I would not hire an attorney. The one who was recommended for me would have likely tried to use his local connections to cut some silly deal with the judge on my behalf, if I was lucky. I didn't want to waste $300 to find out if he could even help me. That's 5 tanks of gas. I failed in my hearings because of inexperience, unfamiliarity with the rules, and the fact that the landlords had an insider they brought to every hearing. All of which should have been moot. Under well settled law I should have been afforded every opportunity to press my claim. Instead I was met with a hostile judge at both TRO hearings. I didn't realize until later that the deck was stacked against me, after it was suggested by a number of people, and after I did some investigation.

With the exception of the landlord's insider and the collusion of the judge and their attorney, this is all discussed in my affidavit and letters but it's understandable that details get lost due to the size of the material.

I've spent more time on this than I wanted. And there's a lot more to this story that may eventually come out, years from now, if anyone cares to remember. By then I'll know if the "sacrifice" will have been worth it.

-Sellam

I'm going to remind everybody up front that replies should remain civil. I can see this has the potential to devolve. ; - 0

I'm going to remind everybody up front that replies should remain civil. I can see this has the potential to devolve. ; - 0

On an Internet forum? bah..

Sellam, are you going to be able to get a hearing for injunction or restraining order soon against tvrsales from further selling your collection until your case can be heard?

I didn't want to waste $300 to find out if he could even help me. That's 5 tanks of gas.

I think you need to rethink that comment.

I feel for you Sellam. Unfortunately, just because the landlord "had" been nice, doesn't mean it will continue or that he has to. I, as a landlord, have to pay bills and it is stressful and disruptive to me when I have to chase it. It only lasts so long. It sounds like the recycler went a bit rabid here. I think that if your"good ole boy attorney" can make any kind of deal, it is better than no deal. The cost of fighting a legal battle does not always award the right party. Ask any divorced person if being right has helped them. The ole legal saying "possession is 9/10th of the law" is coming to my mind here.

Perhaps you could at least get a stay of the sale of the computers by the court whilst a battle is to ensue. I would pursue that immediately. Also, keep doing what you are doing to document the sales.

i wish you good luck.

Anyone that would bash here is disgusting.

Well I hope for some success in keeping the collection together. I would not write off hiring an attorney though, and if you'll excuse me for saying so - five tanks of gas is nothing to be worried about in comparison to a priceless collection that took over a decade to assemble. Just my two cents.

5 tanks of gas ...

My 1994 Saturn goes about 250 miles on a tank, assuming highway driving. Most vehicles have a 200 to 350 mile range per tank.

I suspect that 5 tanks was an exaggeration. Or a sign of a very leaky tank ...

Sellam, if you don't have an attorney at this point, then you are digging your own grave here. Whining on the Internet isn't going to get your equipment back. You should've lawyered up as soon as you got locked out of the warehouse, instead of waiting months for the landlord to be nice to you. He doesn't have to be nice to you. You didn't pay the rent, and he took possession of the property. Sad story, but it happens all the time.

Last edited:
8. What's wrong with defending one's own interests in a legal venue when one is fully capable and competent to do so?
The answer:
I failed in my hearings because of inexperience, unfamiliarity with the rules, and the fact that the landlords had an insider they brought to every hearing.
That's what you pay an attorney for, his/her experience, familiarity with the rules and, especially if there are as many "illegal" foreclosures and evictions going on in your part of the country as you say, his/her connections.

Whom would you rather have working on one of those valuable vintage computers of yours, someone who's read a few books on electronic theory or someone who's repaired a bunch of them for a living?

You should've laywered up as soon as you got locked out of the warehouse, instead of waiting months for the landlord to be nice to you. He doesn't have to be nice to you.
...Especially after he's twice had to incur the legal expenses etc. of going to court...

Sellam, thank you for taking the time to present your side of the story. I hope your family can provide you with stability and comfort during one of the most trying times you'll have to face in life. Hang in there.

Sellam, thank you for taking the time to present your side of the story. I hope your family can provide you with stability and comfort during one of the most trying times you'll have to face in life. Hang in there.
Ditto!

Whatever we may think of the reasons, shouldas, couldas etc. I think Sellam has the sympathy of every one of us and we all wish him the best possible outcomes.

From the threads on other sites, he does have legal representation that he's working with now. Sellam is familiar with court and legal matters as he with the VCF archive had historically represented companies for patent disputes in the past as a company service. But yes when the judges and attorneys know each other less than legitimate reasoning can occur. It's uncomfortable to me when I've seen lawyers who know all of the judges personnel by first name and small talk about the latest family happenings.

I think I said it before but I was hoping perhaps one of the non-profit museums might move in to request to take the stuff and give tax credit in lieu of payment but to keep the equipment safe.

I was hoping perhaps one of the non-profit museums might move in to request to take the stuff and give tax credit in lieu of payment but to keep the equipment safe.
Whatever you may think of TVRsales et al at least they are keeping the equipment safe by recognizing its value and selling it to people who will presumably appreciate and look after it, instead of just shipping those "200 pallets" to China for crushing and gold extraction.

Before Sellam had replied, I was going to suggest a get-together for anyone interested. We could coordinate with the manager of Tri-Valley to have us all meet up in Stockton and see what we can save. At least we know the stuff would be going to honest hobbyists. Then maybe retire for some beer, pizza, and beer.

Back