• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Stuff for sale, some on it's way to recycling already

Tony,
I would have gotten some of the machines, but I don't have any room, either. I feel ya, you posted about it for two years (I remember when you did) but I can't afford shipping like that, plus the space issue.

You gave fair notice, and I hope you *don't* decide to not tell anybody, at least PM some of us cause even if we can't get them ourselves, we may know someone who can give them homes.

DarthKur, I just snapped some pics of my space and will be posting them shortly to show you what I, personally, am dealing with. Most of us have similar situations with machines.

Tony, also, if you don't want to fool with it, I hereby volunteer my service of posting them on chasethechuckwagon for you if you'll just take the pictures and keep them for the duration of a 5-day auction, at my expense. Listing there is really cheap, so I don't mind doing this, seeing as how angry it got you. PM me if you'll take me up on it.

Nathan

Hey, it's Tony's stuff, he gave fair notice and that's that.

Before I say this, I want to say that Tony is under no obligation to notify us about anything. However, I feel that it is unreasonable to give notice two years ago, and then one more notice with twenty four hours to respond and expect to be able to find people to take it. Tony has berated us for not offering to take that stuff off his hands, but he could have found at least one person if he'd decided to advertise a week before the abandon date.

Like I said, I would have paid to ship a 5150 across the country to save it from being destroyed. To the extent that Tony is blaming me for not seeing the original notice two years ago I'd say that he's being unreasonable. There's just no way that you or anyone can hold me responsible for not seeing that. The internet is too vast and there is just too much stuff to be able to see it all.

I think that we are going to have to agree to disagree, but I'm sure that if you try doing the same thing you will get less than satisfactory results. It's none of my business, you're completely free to do so if you want to. All I'm saying is that with a little forethought, appropriate action, and a little persistance, more of these vintage machines can be put to good use.

Just witness my intention to turn your (up to) fouteen year old Power PC into my daily driver once I get it.

Respectfully,
Sean

Actually, those were already loaded up and ready to go - that wasn't a 24hr notice. Those had to go, to appease the wife...

As to "Tony has berated us for not offering to take that stuff off his hands", well, I didn't berate anyone for not taking the stuff,
as THAT stuff was not offered, nor available... as I said - I shoulda' kept my mouth shut about what was already loaded up...
Actually, looks like I've been berated for not being a long-term storage shed.

That stuff was offered 10/8/2006, 10/24/2006, and I think 1 or 2 other times, with no real responses...

Nathan - if there's stuff that someone wants, noone needs to do anything for me to hang on to them...
For example, the stuff I listed as avaialble, only 1 response has come in - for the single XT/286 guide to operations - that's it.

I still have:
(3) Columbia portables,
(1) Corona PC
(3) Kaypro 16's

I held all that stuff back from the recycler, and I don't collect PC's at ALL! I even held on to a semi-functional Amstrad PPC640, for crying out loud!
Oh, and a Sanyo MBC-550, as well. The 1000TX was a husk - no drives at all, but i did keep the keyboard, as I recall someone here needed one...
Can't remember who, though, but I set it aside and will search the wanted forum when I get a chance....

T

Last edited:
By the way, THIS is what I was dealing with.
This was my garage:

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

THAT is my garage!
It took 15 minutes just to dig out the lawnmowing equipment on lawn day.

Notice that there is ZERO space to store the outdoor stuff in hurricane season, and I literally needed to clear a path to walk through.

Now just imagine how my wife loved that - she couldn;t even get to her gardening stuff, either. Not to mention if we DID have a hurricane,
and the ensuing power outage, SOMEWHERE in there is the generator.

Oh - and this doesn;t even BEGIN to cover the small stuff, like Model 100/102, NEC PC-8201a, Epson HX-20 and PX-8 - those are consuming *2*
closets INSIDE the house. And if I take a picture of my kitchen, living room, and dinig room table, those of you that have a significant other would
realize what I was going through. The dining room table is unusable, as it is stacked end-to-end with computer stuff - formal living room coffee table
currently has a disasembled Kaypro 10, and a disassembled Kaypro 4/84, and the kitchen counter has stuff from ANOTHER Kaypro 10, as well as a
make-shift "soldering station."

T

Last edited:
As carlsson already pointed out, too bad most of you guys are from overseas.

Impressive garage, Tony!!! Now I understand what all this fuss was all about :)

I just realized, in my 10/6/2006 thread, I said they would be going to the recycler 10/8/2006 or so, and that I got busy so they were getting 1-week reprieve.
IN actuality, they ended up with an 18-month reprieve...

T

Last edited:
By the way, THIS is what I was dealing with.
This was my garage:

THAT is my garage!
It took 15 minutes just to dig out the lawnmowing equipment on lawn day.

Notice that there is ZERO space to store the outdoor stuff in hurricane season, and I literally needed to clear a path to walk through.

Now just imagine how my wife loved that - she couldn;t even get to her gardening stuff, either. Not to mention if we DID have a hurricane,
and the ensuing power outage, SOMEWHERE in there is the generator.

T

Tony,

O.K., your wife was the reason for the "sudden" timing of this purge. Heaven knows they do it, the women in our lives asking us for more room. I don't even have a girlfriend but I have a woman in my life who constantly asks me if it wouldn't be better if there was more room in my apartment. She hasn't even visited in years and she still asks.

I think that we can all take a lesson from this event. I think we should all consider the needs of wives, girlfriends, and future/possible girlfriends to have more space in our living areas. We should anicipate the foot coming down and keep it from coming down by converting excess/unneeded inventory into cash.

Personally, I don't collect anything just to have it. I only purchase computer equipment that I plan to use. The only exception is a few items, acquired at rock bottom prices, that I have to trade for stuff that I want. To sweeten the deal, ala "...and I'll throw in a [fill in the blank]" to seal the deal.

We can tactfully ask our signifigant others what they think of our "junque" taking up space and try to determine their frustration level. I would suggest having a plan of action before asking, though, because bringing the matter up could precipitate a crisis. But we can be better husbands and boyfriends if we do ask these questions.

Personally, I am going to keep reminding my Mother that this stuff is for the ultimate purpose of promoting reasonable mastery of skills that promote mental health. I do have a plan, I do know what I'm doing, and I am getting positiive results from all of this.

I actually shared with her my suspicion that the thrill of victory on eBay constitutes shopping addiction, which is what prompted the latest round of "is all of this really necessary?" Actually, I think that with the new knowledge that I don't need a variac (expensive) for my computers really means that an end of buying and a start to saving is at hand. I am digging in, from a position of strength. I hope that the rest of you are able to do the same.

By the way, has anybody actually seen any female posters on the VCFs? It seems to be a boy's club to me.

Sean

They were already gone - they were in the bottom of the truck, so everything would've had to have been unloaded to get to them, at any rate.

T

That certainly is a well packed garage. Wish I had a real garage to stock like that. :p Mine is the metal tube frame and vinyl variety. They barely have room enough for the car.
I thought I might share pics of my crowded abode.

First we have the living room:
livrm1ver2.jpg

Several game consoles under those dish towels;Fairchild Channel F II, APF MP 1000, O2, INTV, CV, GB, N64, original PS, DC.

livrm3.jpg

livrm4.jpg

livrm5.jpg

livrm6.jpg

lvrm2.jpg

Now on to the kitchen:

kitch1.jpg

kitch2.jpg

kitch3.jpg

My sleeping quarters:

bd1.jpg

br2.jpg

The tiny "hallway":

hall.jpg

and the crammed to capacity front room:

fr1.jpg

fr2.jpg

fr3.jpg

fr4.jpg

fr5.jpg

fr6.jpg

fr7.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread. I suppose all of our pictures should be put into a new thread entitled "Our Cluttered Lives". :mrgreen:

Good thing I live all by my lonesome now. I too have a single narrow path thru the living room from my bedroom to the kitchen. This is a single wide mobile home, mind you, so the stuff is really stacked up. My larger bedroom at the other end of the mobile is almost literally stacked to the ceiling. When I get up tons of energy, I have to get the queen sized bed out of there and put up 3 long tables I purchased. I might actually have a living room again some day. Hehe, wow, I really need a nice garage like that one. I could likely get my home back if I had one of those. It would likely cost me about $20,000 these days to have a garage built out here in the boonies. Think it will be easier to sell most of the stuff I'll never get around to screwing with.

OMG, I was composing away while all those pics were being posted. I hate to say it but looks very close to my place these days. More motivation to work on getting stuff moved and organized!!

By the way, has anybody actually seen any female posters on the VCFs? It seems to be a boy's club to me.

Sean

Well there was a poster by the name of "rachael24", but her posts were very brief, nothing particularly informative or engaging, at least in my opinion. Just basically one sentence responses to other people's posts. I think she dropped off around a month ago or so. I think that's the only female poster on the forum that I can remember.

Wow, some of you guys do go a little overboard with the conquests ;)

I have a huge double garage (2 full size doors and space in the back for workcenters) but only store a handfull of parts there on a shelf. My room has 4 PCs and a B&W mac but they are under a large L shaped desk in the corner, so nothing to trip over. There are no computers on the main floor, but half the basement has been turned into a computer lab.

When I run out of space in the basement my collection is done (outside of getting rid of something I don't like to make room for something I do like). At least half the collection is setup to run as needed, the rest is put away on shelves. The computers take up space, but I think my magazines, boxed software, and parts tend to take up more space. Basements are nice (if they don't leak), its dry and cool so nothing will mold, rust, or rot. Ofcourse its kind of a mess down there lately, hope to clean it up and take some pics soon.

The 1000TX was a husk - no drives at all, but i did keep the keyboard, as I recall someone here needed one...
Can't remember who, though, but I set it aside and will search the wanted forum when I get a chance....

T

I think it was me, Tony, and I did eventually get one, but, if you can find a chair to slide it under, lots of the 1000s seem to be missing keyboards.

After looking at the rest of this thread, I'm going to show the pictures to MY lady and then it won't look so bad. The ONLY reason I get to fill the place with stuff is because it goes on my site and the house gets lighter in weight.

I have another truckload of stuff coming tomorrow but, she's be at work and I'll spread it around so it looks like there has been no change Muhahahaha

Last edited:
Will do...

Guys, don;t get me wrong - I'm not junking EVERYTHING! There's just certain stuff that has been lingering too long, and had to go..

Dru - that kb will be on my keyboard shelf if you or someone else has a need for it.

T

Egads!

So much gear and so little space.

You guys need a wife like mine, where you are "allocated" to a small space in the garage for anything considered "junk" (i.e. any computers less stylish than her iMAC).

Mind you, at least I can walk through our hallway. Had Annette not been around, I'm picking my place would reflect some of the images I'm seeing here...lol. :-D

Tez

Heh, I don't even really have what could be considered a "collection"... yet. I have here, in my room, 2 XT clones on my desk, and a IBM PS/1 in the storage... thing. Like an attic, but on the side instead of on top. And then I have my PIII under the desk, a couple monitors, another computer behind me, a fre printers, and some (partially) disassembled laptops. That's really about it, but only because I don't have the money to buy any more :p

Back