• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun Moon Star 286 (Was: help)

wolfie

Experienced Member
i have this 286 sun moon star computer and i am trying to find the jumper settings for it. i was capable of getting it to boot. i have been doing alot of research and been coming up with nothing. any help would be appreciated.

now that i have the jumper setting and all i have been trying to upgrade the memory with no success. i was wondering if the memory has to be compatible with the mother and how to figure out what memory is or isn't. i have like i handfull of memory that will fit in the computer. i was also wondering if it would make a good retro server. i have a 486 server just for fun and the 286 would also be for fun if it can be done with my very limited knowledge.

Okay, this board can host memory two ways, but if I recall correctly, they cannot be mixed.

If you want to use 30-pin SIMMS, you'll have to use them in pairs. This board can take either 256Kx9 or 1Mx9 SIMMS and you can't mix the types. So you'll need either 2 or 4 of either 1Mx9 or 256Kx9 SIMMS and if they're a matched set (i.e. same manufacture and type), so much the better.

Unless someone is sitting on a pile of them, 30 pin 9-chip SIMMS can be tough to find nowadays. Macs used that size, but IIRC, they were all x8 bit wide (no parity bit).

Alternatively, you can populate the board with DIP memory, but you'll need a bunch of 411000 and/or 44256 chips (see the chart on the TH99 page).

i don't know what 256Kx9 or 1Mx9 SIMMS is and i think that is the problem. i think have been trying to use the 30 pin chips. i'm trying to put memory in bank 0 and 1. there is chips in parity 2&3 and bank 2A&3A.what would i have to do to use bank 0&1? remove memory from bank 2A&3A.

i don't know what 256Kx9 or 1Mx9 SIMMS is and i think that is the problem. i think have been trying to use the 30 pin chips. i'm trying to put memory in bank 0 and 1. there is chips in parity 2&3 and bank 2A&3A.what would i have to do to use bank 0&1? remove memory from bank 2A&3A.

Yes, essentially, you can populate the DIP positions or the SIMM positions, but not both. And population must be 18 bits at a time (16+parity).

For an example of what you need, take a look at eBay item 390066879415. Note that I'm not recommending this vendor, just that this is a good representation of what you want. 1MB 60nsec. 9-chip SIMMs with parity; all the same.

I think this is going to be easier than finding a bunch of 44256 and 411000 DIP parts.

i removed all the dip chips from parity 2&3 and bank 2A&3A. i installed 4mb in the simm position. 1m x 9 p. when i start it up the memory counter stops at 512. it doesn't acknoledge the 4mb i installed.

Sorry for resucitate such an old post, but I have a sun moon star 286, and I'm in need of the jumper settings or any info on this computer.
Best regards,

Me too! I did figure out the switch to enable/disable onboard IDE and floppy controllers.

Edit: oh sorry, mine is 386sx 20mhz, not 286

Back