• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sun SparcStation LX PSU Problems

munocat

I found my LX PSU has blown. When I took the PSU apart I saw that a component had explode. I also found a bunch of leaking capacitors. I order and replaced all capacitors. Also the exploded component. Now when I power it on it squeaks and I hear a relay switching. Does anybody know where I can find a replacement? Does anybody have a dead LX, with a working power supply they are willing to part with. I do not have the skills to diagnose the power supply.

I use this computer for some of my projects, It will be a same to lose it.

Attachments

• photo61860.jpg
    photo61860.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo61861.jpg
    photo61861.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 3

NeXT

Veteran Member
The power supplies in all of the lunchbox suns (and probably the pizzaboxes now) have extremely bad leakage problems. Normally when I get a switch-mode supply blowing parts I find parts elsewhere shorted from the initial event. Verify the main output transistors and diodes have not failed.

munocat

UPDATE: After recapping the PSU, It did not return to life. I found a TV repair shop, that has been in business sine the 70’s. They have to know how to diagnose and repaired the PSU. It cost me a few $$, but in the end, I have a rebuild PSU. They found other components that had blow or shorted.