• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sx-64

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
does anyone have experience w/these? I have 2, and both have k/b's that aren't as responsive as they should be (i.e missing or you just have to press too hard to make contact). I don't want to go ahead and clean them in the usual fashion before asking. There seems to be a layer of something just under the keys, it's dark, and has a tendency to peel off. Does that have anything to do w/the operation of the thing? I could just clean that, but thought it best to ask first.

I have never restored a SX-64 keyboard, but I was told it is not the same design as found on other PET, VIC, C64 and I think C128 keyboards. The dark layer may be a clue. I understood as much as it is more difficult to restore and more details to keep in mind while doing the work. I believe if you search this forum, you may get a short read-up on the matter.

Hi tipc

Yes the layer under the keys is the rubber membrane with carbon impregnated tips.
It is very fragile and should be peeled back very slowly and carefully to avoid damaging it.
Underneath are gold plated contact pads that can be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
There is also a clamped area on the circuit board too that clamps the membrane down if I remember correctly.

Zimmers site info
http://www.zimmers.net/commie/docs/sx64.txt
Hope that helps

Back