• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Syntax error (joke)

TroyW

Experienced Member
Well, it made me chuckle...

46b04019063ef.jpg

You know what this is? It's one of those silly phrases that'll sticks in your head all day and you keep repeating it in your mind, even though you don't want to.
Now I'm stuck with it for today! Thanks a lot :sneaky:

If you're happy and you know it, syntax error
syntax error

I kind of liked the small "NEWPAUSE" that Jeff Procise wrote, to be slipped in as a joke in a batch file whenever PAUSE was used...

It asked the same thing "Press any key."...

But would initially report "Any key but THAT one."...

Hahaha, I used to change the prompt:
Code:
prompt Bad or missing command interpreter$_System halted.$_
Then a CLS and it looked just like it should. Fooled a few people with that one :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure that was the correct prompt string, I'm a bit rusty on DOS after all these years I have to admit :(

As you might expect - not all computers are created equal. Just see how differently some react to the 'syntax error!' statement.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Which system is the one with white text on green background, using a / prompt and * for system messages?

My vTech Laser 2001 ain't different from the other Basic computers:
attachment.php

The vTech VZ-200 however will only say READY, just like a TRS-80 (which I think it is a subset of).

The COMX-35 reports "ERR CODE 27".

The Sord M5 with Basic-I says "Err 12 in 0" about the error example.

The Enterprise 128 is more concerned about making an IF statement outside of a program than exactly what the line says:
"*** Statement in immediate mode."

ZX Spectrum 128K, which was the first Spectrum to let you type in this kind of garbage, doesn't return an error message but points the cursor at O in YOU'RE.

Well, those were the home computers I could think of contributing.

Attachments

• syntaxerror-laser.jpg
    syntaxerror-laser.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1
Vint,

I hope you'll take this in the right way, but, you have WAY too much time on your hands, man. LOL

:p Yes I do, and proud of it :D

I worked in factories. I worked road construction. I worked in offices. I worked for about 45 years - - and now I'm retired. I've been retired for 2 and a half years now. My father, rest his soul, never got to retire - passed away 1 day short of 65 years of age. Me and my 2 brothers made sure we got 'retirement time'. My 1 brother retired at age 53. The other one at 62. I also retired early at 62.
I have but one thing to say to those who are still 'working' - You're going to love retirement. Everyday is Saturday now! I wish this for all of you.

A line from a movie comes to mind. - There was a TV show back in 1969, (probably most of you won't remember it) - you had to be 'into motorcycles' - which I was back then. Anyway, the show was called "Then Came Bronson", staring Michael Parks. The pilot for the series was a 2 hour movie. In the pilot it shows Bronson quiting his job, taking a motorcycle and heading out of town. He stops at a light and a guy in a car says to him; "Taking a trip?" "Yea". "Where to?" "Oh, I don't know, wherever I end up I guess." "Man, I wish I was you." "Really, - well hang in there."

I have a link to the video clip of that converstation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJyMx3p6vo&feature=related

Being retired is like that - the work is done :cool:

As you might expect - not all computers are created equal. Just see how differently some react to the 'syntax error!' statement.
---
Nice! Is this all on the *real* hardware or emulators? How'd you get such nice screen shots of such a varied collection?

m

Yes the screens 'look' good, but alas they aren't from dedicated 'real' machines but of course from that excellent computer emulator, MESS.
I have time on my hands - but not that much time - to get the screens from all the real machinery. Result looks the same though, huh?
For a dandy screen capture I use the handy button called 'Print Screen' on my keyboard. The difference being I ALSO use a small freeware utility called M8 Free Clipboard v12.00. This allows you to copy 25 separate items to the clipboard - saves a lot of time.
I didn't bother with many of the computers because I didn't want to have to huge a post. It already was probably bigger than it should have been. I have a tendency to forget that some people may still be on dial-up. I believe MESS can now emulate 439 vintage computers!

How about 1 more syntax error :D

picture.php

Yes the screens 'look' good, but alas they aren't from dedicated 'real' machines but of course from that excellent computer emulator, MESS.
---
Kinda what I thought, considering how hard it'd be to capture the real thing that well. Very nice all the same though, and perfect for this sort of thing. Haven't looked at MESS for quite a while; amazing what these folks writing emulations have done there and elsewhere...

m

But my screenshot was from a genuine TV screen, complete with back lighting and everything. Personally I find the XP-ish error message as Nathan posted the funniest so far: Happy unexpected.

is my computer depressed?
Hahaha, that was unexpected! I tried it and got the same thing, amusing indeed!

Hahaha good stuff! I might have to take another look at MESS by the looks of it - how well does it compare to 'stand alone' emulators for the C64 and Atari 8 bit computers?

Looks like I remembered correctly about the prompt string, and it even still works under XP, although isn't exactly convincing:

EDIT: Just noticed my typo, would be much better if I'd spelt it right, hahaha!

Attachments

• BadOrMissing.jpg
    BadOrMissing.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1
As long as you only play around with the Basic prompt, I think MESS is 100% of any other emulator. The differences would only show when running some more advanced software. I don't know about the Atari 8-bit, but I'm sure there are intricate tricks on the C64 not yet properly emulated by any emulator. On the other hand, some of these tricks would rely on a specific chip revision so they wouldn't run so well on some real machines of the wrong build neither.

Back