• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

T3100SX screen droop

falter

Veteran Member
Hi there. I am considering buying a T3100SX like that I had in high school. It was a machine I briefly enjoyed before a friend's brother accidentally dropped it, smashing the screen.

I'm trying to figure out if the one I'm looking at is potentially repairable. I note the glass has pulled down and you can see what looks like a sealant or something. I don't know plasma displays well enough to know if that means it is irretrievably broken, or if that glass is just for safety/appearance/etc. Anyone know?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230825_181101_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230825_181101_eBay.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 20
Yes, this just a strip of double sided tape that holds the plastic protective screen away from the glass of the plasma display. So easy to fix.

The T3100sx however Is a pain to get running.
-display high voltage boards need a recap
-nicad on the motherboard
-leaky caps on the motherboard.
-and finally an internal PSU that I haven't been able to repair.
The capacitors on the PSU leak all over the board destroying the internal vias making troubleshooting a pain.

I have 3 t3100sx s and haven't been able to get any of the psu boards repaired.
I ended up making a new psu from a picoPSU and some buck converters.

I'd recommend against getting a T3100sx unless it's working and you recap the psu immediately.

I'd recommend against getting a T3100sx unless it's working and you recap the psu immediately.
I agree. I haven't had one myself, but I did have a T1200 and it was a nightmare I wish I had never owned, ended up selling it for parts. Oh, and a 1000LE now that I think about it that I also wasn't able to repair. I think that hunk of junk is still in a box somewhere around here.

Just get one of the bigger AC-powered units like the T3200SX and you'll be much happier. T3200SXs generally don't need much more than a simple PSU recap to keep them running (mine has been rock solid so far). They have a lot more expansion capability too.

Back