• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 Hx, Cm-5 Color monitor and tandy dot matrix printer

Katie R

I was wondering if this complete set up is worth anything. They are all brand new in the box. The computer itself has been opened but the monitor and the printer have never even been opened. These are from an estate and were given to me to sell. So if anyone has info on value that would be awesome.

Yeah I would be willing, I just thought that they would be better all together. I am going to be listing it on ebay here shortly. And yes I will ship.
DSC03095.jpg

Does the HX include original documentation, or is it just the machine and box?

Please link us to the ebay listing as soon as it is up... I'm really interested in it. :)

The monitor and the machine would go well together, but people like me might pass on the printer in order to save money, as many collectors use these machines primarily for gaming and don't see the need to print. There are those who would want the printer, though, don't get me wrong.

Does the HX include original documentation, or is it just the machine and box?

Please link us to the ebay listing as soon as it is up... I'm really interested in it. :)

What kind of documentation are you looking for? I haven't even pulled the machine all the way out of the box.

Thanks raven for the info. I think I will list them together without the printer.

Would they be inside the box? I will check. Thank you for all your help with this issue.

No there is no paper work at all in the box.

Yup, the original docs would be inside the box. It's possible the machine was lightly used as these work connected to a TV, as well as a monitor. Perhaps the original owner intended to setup the monitor/printer at some point but never got around?

Either way, having the original box and being in new/like new condition is still a big plus.

I am pretty sure it was never used as the original owner was my grandmother. I am betting she took the paper work out to read and file away, and then never got around to using the machine. She did that alot with other things. We have all kinds of random stuff that she bought, opened and never used!

I am pretty sure it was never used as the original owner was my grandmother. I am betting she took the paper work out to read and file away, and then never got around to using the machine. She did that alot with other things. We have all kinds of random stuff that she bought, opened and never used!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for that eBay link. I've always wanted to have an HX in my collection, and this one sounds perfect.

Any expansion cards underneath the cover on the top?

To be honest, and seeing how I have a vested interest in its new status (seeing how I'll be bidding on it), I personally value more the fact that its expansion cover has never been popped open... Not sure it's a great idea to ask someone selling a new item to take it out of the box and fiddle with the plastics.

To be honest, and seeing how I have a vested interest in its new status (seeing how I'll be bidding on it), I personally value more the fact that its expansion cover has never been popped open... Not sure it's a great idea to ask someone selling a new item to take it out of the box and fiddle with the plastics.

In that case, there should be some indication of expansion cards inside the case by looking at the back panel (through the plastic).

So do you want me to look through the plastic and see if there is expansion cards? Going to list it later today, and will post the link. So what is a fair price for something like this in, its condition?

So do you want me to look through the plastic and see if there is expansion cards? Going to list it later today, and will post the link. So what is a fair price for something like this in, its condition?

It's hard to say what the real value would be for it. You can search through eBay's completed listings to get an idea, I think that's the best way. I think a lot of times shipping costs put people off shipping large, bulky items (like monitors), but in your case with the condition you've said I think a complete system (minus printer as someone else suggested) might do pretty well. The presence of expansion cards will help the value as well. If you look at the back of the machine you should see a set of 6 screws, two for each possible expansion card which run horizontally. If no card is installed at a particular position, there will be a plastic blank in place. If there is, you should see a metal plate there instead (sometimes there are stickers identifying the particular expansion card, but that isn't always the case).

There's only 2 successfully completed eBay auctions (historical data) in the past few months. They are not extremely accurate because they were not in new condition, but one sold for $15 with monitor (working unit but it did look like it needing a good cleaning), and a clean but untested unit without monitor (and missing the expansion cover) went for $22 (the shipping was considerably cheaper since there was no monitor included, which does affect the max bid).

The machine itself is key here, because the CM-5 was Tandy's low-end color monitor and they are quite easy to find. As a potential buyer, my concern is the added shipping from the CM-5, but I am still willing to bid/buy it as a whole if that makes it easier to manage (which is completely understandable...I'm sure you've got plenty of other things to go through and list for sale from the estate). You can always list both items within a few minutes of each other, but on separate auctions... Usually, when a seller splits items like this, the high bidder for the main unit will have a higher interest in winning the remaining pieces, especially if the winning bid was lower than what they were ultimately willing to pay. A lot of eBay has to do with the emotional factors.

There's only 2 successfully completed eBay auctions (historical data) in the past few months. They are not extremely accurate because they were not in new condition, but one sold for $15 with monitor (working unit but it did look like it needing a good cleaning), and a clean but untested unit without monitor (and missing the expansion cover) went for $22 (the shipping was considerably cheaper since there was no monitor included, which does affect the max bid).

The machine itself is key here, because the CM-5 was Tandy's low-end color monitor and they are quite easy to find. As a potential buyer, my concern is the added shipping from the CM-5, but I am still willing to bid/buy it as a whole if that makes it easier to manage (which is completely understandable...I'm sure you've got plenty of other things to go through and list for sale from the estate). You can always list both items within a few minutes of each other, but on separate auctions... Usually, when a seller splits items like this, the high bidder for the main unit will have a higher interest in winning the remaining pieces, especially if the winning bid was lower than what they were ultimately willing to pay. A lot of eBay has to do with the emotional factors.

This is a good observation as well... the CM-5 has a fairly crummy picture due to the horrible dot pitch (.51 or .52 I think).

Back