• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 hx issues

seaquest8

I recently purchased a tandy 1000 hx computer. It is equiped with a memory expansion card that brings the total memory to about 384 kbytes. Everything works perfectly exept the internal drive C:. When I try to copy files to it I get a write fault error and an abort retry fail. Does anyone know how to fix this? (It has 2 floppy drives):-?

Are you sure it even has a hard drive? Most don't and if it has 2 floppies already, there isn't much space in-side where one could possibly be. The HX has DOS on a ROM drive as C:.

Are you sure it even has a hard drive? Most don't and if it has 2 floppies already, there isn't much space in-side where one could possibly be. The HX has DOS on a ROM drive as C:.

I've got an XTIDE controller in mine connected to a CF IDE adapter stuffed in between the case and the keyboard. Feels good man. :)

How in the heck did you interface the XTIDE with the Tandy?

I made a cable to go from the 8-bit ISA connector to the plus card connector on the memory/DMA card (although I think technically since the XTIDE doesn't do DMA you could do it without the memory expander). They are pin for pin compatible. All you need to do is get a 100 pin ribbon cable and card edge connector, a pin header connector and crimp away. The connector on the plus card is too narrow for the crimp cover to fit on the ends so I left that off once I crimped it.

You can bump that card up to 640K if needed, but 384K is enough for the old games and apps.

I was going to get a HD for my HX ages ago, but it would be cheaper and easier just to stick one in my original 1000 instead (or just play floppy games). My idea was to use an 8 bit bootable SCSI card and an external HD since there is little room and might not be enough power for an internal IDE (unless maybe you use a laptop drive).

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize that it didn't have a hard drive. I feel alot better knowing that my computer dosen't have a broken drive.
I recently purchased a tandy 1000 hx computer. It is equiped with a memory expansion card that brings the total memory to about 384 kbytes. Everything works perfectly exept the internal drive C:. When I try to copy files to it I get a write fault error and an abort retry fail. Does anyone know how to fix this? (It has 2 floppy drives):-?

You can bump that card up to 640K if needed, but 384K is enough for the old games and apps.

I was going to get a HD for my HX ages ago, but it would be cheaper and easier just to stick one in my original 1000 instead (or just play floppy games). My idea was to use an 8 bit bootable SCSI card and an external HD since there is little room and might not be enough power for an internal IDE (unless maybe you use a laptop drive).

I've XTIDE'ed mine too, with a standard (10g) 3.5" HDD. All I had to do was splice a power connector together. It works just fine, I never really even checked if the supply was big enough for the job.
The problem for me is that the HDD is a little too long to fit in the 3.5" bay, so it sticks out the front some and is a little ugly. I guess ugly is ok since my HX also doesn't have the top plastic bit to cover the expansion area. Maybe a little duct tape is needed.

Apologies for hijacking the thread to talk about XTIDE, but at least the root problem has been solved.

I've XTIDE'ed mine too, with a standard (10g) 3.5" HDD. All I had to do was splice a power connector together. It works just fine, I never really even checked if the supply was big enough for the job.
The problem for me is that the HDD is a little too long to fit in the 3.5" bay, so it sticks out the front some and is a little ugly. I guess ugly is ok since my HX also doesn't have the top plastic bit to cover the expansion area. Maybe a little duct tape is needed.

Apologies for hijacking the thread to talk about XTIDE, but at least the root problem has been solved.

Maybe a 2.5" drive is in order. :)

There are mounting holes on the bottom of that wide drive mounting bracket in the HX. Maybe one could design a flat mating plate where you could screw a 2.5" drive to it from underneath with recessed/flush mount screws then screw the plate to the HX's bracket again from the bottom. Something like that could be designed and produced cheap on a site like front panel express.

I have an HX. I'd like to build some plus card versions of things. The only concern is trying to reproduce the back plates. Most would require a bend which rules out fp express.

Back