• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 Mouse / Calendar board mouse compatibility?

A-ko

Experienced Member
Hey all, I have the Tandy 1000 Mouse Controller / Calendar Board (Cat no. 25-1010) installed in my Tandy 1000. It has a serial port on the back, which is for a mouse obviously, but I can't seem to figure out what protocol it uses. I've tried Microsoft and Logitech serial mice, and when I run CuteMouse it installed in Mouse Systems mode at com1, no matter what mouse I plug in. I have the drivers, and primarily use the card for the clock feature, but would love to make it fully functional.

Is it safe to assume it uses a Mouse Systems 5-bit interface, or is CuteMouse just defaulting and not actually finding a mouse? I've searched for Tandy "Digi-Mouse" listings or photos online but they all have the joystick connector, or mention a different card. Haven't seen one yet with a DB-9 jack.

Anybody running this card successfully with a mouse? What mouse?

Thanks!

Per the Tandy 1k FAQ that board uses a proprietary bus mouse, not a serial mouse. (The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA has pictures of the matching nine-pin mouse in their collection.) Hopefully nothing bad happened from plugging in the wrong type...

The schematics from that board are available in several of the Tandy 1000 technical/service manual PDFs that are out there if you want to try to match its pinout up with other quadrature bus mice and see if someone else made one directly compatible, but it's kind of unlikely. One of those other mice could probably be modified to work by shuffling the wires around, however.

ah that one DOES have the right connector! All I was running across were the models with the joystick connector...which I have already.

I'll be on the lookout.

Back