• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 TL with XT/IDE

Ok, I assume I should just use the most recent version of the bios, currently 2.0.0 beta 3+, R623 from June of 2022. Any other things I should look for?

Ok, I assume I should just use the most recent version of the bios, currently 2.0.0 beta 3+, R623 from June of 2022. Any other things I should look for?
I have a generic procedure for an upgrade to R622 at [here]. R623 is most likely the same procedure.

A 'requirement' that I have included in the procedure is, "In case you end up in a situation where you cannot boot from the XT-IDE/XT-CF card, a DOS boot floppy/diskette containing the two files quoted in steps 1 to 3, plus FDISK.COM and FORMAT.COM." That is important. Between steps 24 and 25, I even mention a situation where such a boot disk is required. You are upgrading from XTIDE Universal BIOS (XUB) version {1.1.5} to {2.0.0 beta 3+, R623} and from memory, I am reasonably sure that the upgrade will require the CF/SD to be repartitioned and formatted after the XUB upgrade.

I often forget that a lot of folks don't have floppy drives any more. I have so many old computers it doesn't occur to me that other's will have to make due without a floppy.

Seaken

I have a generic procedure for an upgrade to R622 at [here]. R623 is most likely the same procedure.

A 'requirement' that I have included in the procedure is, "In case you end up in a situation where you cannot boot from the XT-IDE/XT-CF card, a DOS boot floppy/diskette containing the two files quoted in steps 1 to 3, plus FDISK.COM and FORMAT.COM." That is important. Between steps 24 and 25, I even mention a situation where such a boot disk is required. You are upgrading from XTIDE Universal BIOS (XUB) version {1.1.5} to {2.0.0 beta 3+, R623} and from memory, I am reasonably sure that the upgrade will require the CF/SD to be repartitioned and formatted after the XUB upgrade.
Didn't realize it was upgraded in place -- I just figured I'd pop out the chip and put it in my programmer (assuming I can find it...). I'll try that this weekend.

Didn't realize it was upgraded in place -- I just figured I'd pop out the chip and put it in my programmer (assuming I can find it...). I'll try that this weekend.
In which case, see note 3 at [here].

Then read note 2.

And of course, with your EPROM programmer, you can easily make a backup of the current contents (XUB version 1.1.5 suitably configured for your card) of the EEPROM.

Last edited:
Well, upgraded rom to 2.0.0b3+ (built by downloading and compiling), and now the tandy doesn't even show the boot menu. I did try the XTIDE in my EMM8088 and it works, mostly (can't boot off of its built in USB drive with XTIDE in machine).

I was almost certain that the Tandy 1000 TL line required to switch to another address (D00?) on the xt-ide for it to function properly. The behavior you specify seems like you are encountering some kind of conflict on the address. I ended up reflashing mine with the alternate address and then I was able to use it properly. Have you tried switching it?

I'm already using D000:0000, but I suppose ports 300-30f could be used by something.
I wonder, I compiled the XTIDE with V_20 flag, is that compatible with 80286? Or could they be using instructions only on the nec processor?

OK, this is interesting. My Tandy 1000TL has a hard disk on a card. I took it out to have a look at it, and... It is an IDE controller card with a ST351A/X drive on it. I tried that on my EM8088 machine, and it appeared like things were going to boot (No XT-IDE card), but it cleared the screen and that was it. Not sure if the bios uses 80286 instructions, or what. Another odd thing when I put it in my EMM8088, the drive's BIOS showed up first, then the USB boot text, then counted to 640 K and... Cleared the screen and that was that.

I've been putting off installing a floppy, but maybe now is the time.... And then I have to hope the Tandy can read it.

Also, I'm still using XTIDE in the compatibility mode, I need to break out the soldering iron and put in jumper blocks (and remove the jumper wires).

I'm already using D000:0000, but I suppose ports 300-30f could be used by something.

Have tried the XTIDE in the machine by itself yet?

Maybe this is a long shot, but it's worth observing that the standard base I/O for XT hard disk controllers is 0x320. I'm pretty sure at least some hard cards came out of the box set for some alternate I/O range so they could be dropped into a machine that already had a hard disk in it. Do you happen to see any I/O range jumpers on this hard card? It's not beyond reason that it could be conflicting.

Well, upgraded rom to 2.0.0b3+ (built by downloading and compiling), and now the tandy doesn't even show the boot menu.
No BIOS output at all or just the boot menu missing? If the latter, did you remember to include MODULE_BOOT_MENU?

I wonder, I compiled the XTIDE with V_20 flag, is that compatible with 80286? Or could they be using instructions only on the nec processor?
You mean the USE_NEC_V option? Yes, that uses instructions available only on NEC V processors (V20, V30 etc) so will not work on anything else. However, it's almost pointless to use that option because it saves only a few bytes of ROM space and only when using certain modules. For example, MODULE_IRQ contains a couple of NEC V instructions but that module is not normally used on XT class machines because it makes transfers slower.

Well, so much for floppy. Can’t format it or anything else. Will try again maybe. Can’t remember much about format, but now I’m wondering if it isn’t quick formatting (it says saving information information, which fails).

I’ve got an usb ide floppy on the way, maybe I’ll have better luck with it.
My eeprom on XT ide is an 28c64b, so only 8k, I’m removing v20 and adding loop unrolling large (makes rom in the 7k range). Don’t have the full boot menu, just the keys. I also removed CGA snow, don’t really care about it on boot. I need to burn that and also add jumper books on the card, then maybe I can try out the faster transfer mode.

Back