• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000 TX HD not working...

jcniest5

So, been awhile and when I turned on the TX, it keeps asking for a floppy disk. Upon boot up, I do a DIR C: and no HD is found. Use FDISK and it cannot find my HD at all. The HD is the original one (I believe) on a card that plugs into a slot. Don't remember if I did anything to it the last time I used. I remember it was working then. I can't even hear the HD spin up now. Is it dead? What kind of HD can I replace it with? Can I grab an old IDE (assuming I can grab an 8-bit IDE Floppy/HD controller) for it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I bet the the drive was a 20MB Tandy Hard Card, which used an MFM drive, so you cannot use an IDE drive with it. I had one myself which failed. Who don't you try a low level format, the drive uses a common Western Digital controller: http://artofhacking.com/th99/c/U-Z/20217.htm

How would I do the low level format? From the BIOS? Don't even know how to get into the BIOS anymore. I think there was a disk of some sort. I lost track of everything.

At the time of the TX, Tandy was offering two different hard drives. If you're lucky you'll have what is described above. However they were shipping a lot of what they called "smart drives". These were 8bit IDE drives. Very hard to find replacements and no low level format.

Check your cable. If it has a single 40 pin cable it is one of these. If it has a 20 and a 34 pin cable then it is what is described above.

I have the 40Mb version in my TX which has the 8-bit IDE hard drive on it. The drive died and I replaced it with a Seagate ST-351A/X (there are some on fee-pay at the moment, ranging in price from $44.99 to nearly $200!) and it "sort of" worked when jumpered as an XT drive it would low-level format to about 25Mb or so... for what I needed it to do it worked fine.

On the plus side you do pick up some speed on the old TX because the ST-351A/X is much faster hard drive than the old WD 3028 or whatever it was that was there.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Back