• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000SX & the No-Slot Clock

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Finally got around to installing the SMT (Systems Manufacturing Technology, Inc.) "No-Slot Clock" in my 1000SX. This was a NIB unit from 1990 (thanks to 'TheLazy1") and came with a 360K software setup disk and a manual. The BIOS chip piggy-backs on the clock unit and the installation is a 'no brainer'. The software disk contains two files: 1) CLOCKINT.COM, and 2) XTCLOCK.COM. Simply reboot and enter the correct date and time, then run CLOCKINT and you're good to go. I can now retire my HYPERDISK clock card and install a serial card in its place. Also, this will let me pull the bus mouse card and the Logitech "TrackMan Mouse" (made in the USA so you know it's old). That extra slot will let me permanently install my SCSI card, which BTW, co-exists perfectly with the XT-IDE forum project card. A final word on the SMT clock - it supposed to work on just about any pc as well as Apple and the Franklin clone.

So I take it that's just a rebranded Dallas 1216 then? Both of my 1000HX came with them, and I've added them to pretty much any machine that has a 28 pin socketed ROM from the Apple IIe to a PC Jr.

Though putting them in a 1000 EX is a pain in the ass as you have to cut a hole in the RF shield for it to peek out of.

What did it end up costing you? Street on the Dallas is around $20.... I'd be interested in a cheaper outlet for them.

So I take it that's just a rebranded Dallas 1216 then? Both of my 1000HX came with them, and I've added them to pretty much any machine that has a 28 pin socketed ROM from the Apple IIe to a PC Jr.

Though putting them in a 1000 EX is a pain in the ass as you have to cut a hole in the RF shield for it to peek out of.

What did it end up costing you? Street on the Dallas is around $20.... I'd be interested in a cheaper outlet for them.

That price is about right. I don't think it's a Dallas chip. The physical appearance is different. I don't know if you can whittle the thing down to the battery level like the Dallas. I'm going to do a little research on that - I'm sure its possible but I'd sure like to know if anyone out there has autopsy'd the thing. There's a tiny pcb on the top of the clock chip that has a couple of runs that may be from the battery. Next time I pull the box apart I'll check that out with a VOM.

I had the SMT No-slot clock in my 5155 since 1986 or so. A couple of months ago the battery started dying. Boy, 25 years Battery life! Anyhow, I replaced it with a brand new Dallas Smart Watch. The old one had a sticker on top that read SMT. I peeled the sticker expecting to see the Dallas name and part number on the chip but found it completely blank and smooth. Other than that I thought it looked very simallar. I attributed the minor differences to revision changes made over the years. Functionally the SMT and the Dallas unit seem identical. I'm still using the SMT software with the new Dallas Smart Watch.
I Love my NO-SLOT CLOCK!!
Great Choice Agent Orange!

I don't know if you can whittle the thing down to the battery level like the Dallas. I'm going to do a little research on that - I'm sure its possible but I'd sure like to know if anyone out there has autopsy'd the thing.

I posted asking about connecting an external battery before replacing mine but no one mentioned having success with it. So I replaced it instead. I'll have to see if I can find the old one and attempt to disect it.

I posted asking about connecting an external battery before replacing mine but no one mentioned having success with it. So I replaced it instead. I'll have to see if I can find the old one and attempt to disect it.
Maybe before you dispose of the old SMT clock you might want to experiment and see whether or not the battery can be accessed? Got a Dremel? If it's setup like the Dallas it wouldn't be much of a problem. BTW, what kind of HD setup do you have in your 5155?

That price is about right. I don't think it's a Dallas chip. The physical appearance is different.
Could you give us a Pic? Not finding anything online about that device... I can't even find proof that such a company (SMT) even existed -- my google-fu is failing hard.

You sure it's not one of these?
DS1216.jpg

I don't know if you can whittle the thing down to the battery level like the Dallas.
Huh? That doesn't even make sense... Wait, are you thinking that larger Dallas unit some AT mainboards have built in? That's an entirely different unit.

Could you give us a Pic? Not finding anything online about that device... I can't even find proof that such a company (SMT) even existed -- my google-fu is failing hard.

You sure it's not one of these?
DS1216.jpg

Huh? That doesn't even make sense... Wait, are you thinking that larger Dallas unit some AT mainboards have built in? That's an entirely different unit.

I don't have an actual DALLAS chip to compare it to. The above picture kind of looks like the SMT that I just installed. Seems the DALLAS chips vary in appearance slightly.

Back in 1990 they were here:

SMT
1080 Linda Vista Drive
San Marcos, CA 92069
(619)744-3599

ibmapc:

Did your SILICON VALLEY COMPUTER PC come with APD50L controller or did you add it later on?

Did your SILICON VALLEY COMPUTER PC come with APD50L controller or did you add it later on?

Silicn Valley Computer is the company that made the ADP50L. No, it didn't come with my computer. I got lucky and found it in an IBM 5160 that I bought for parts from someone on EPAY. So now it is part of my IBM 5155 portable. It's a pretty cool card that works well with most IDE hard drives but can only see a max of 504 MB per drive with a max of two drives.

Silicn Valley Computer is the company that made the ADP50L. No, it didn't come with my computer. I got lucky and found it in an IBM 5160 that I bought for parts from someone on EPAY. So now it is part of my IBM 5155 portable. It's a pretty cool card that works well with most IDE hard drives but can only see a max of 504 MB per drive with a max of two drives.

You might want to get involved with the forum's XT-IDE controller project. I've got one up and running in my 1000SX and have had absolutely no problems. Contact HARGLE or LYNCHAJ if you are interested. P.S.: Good therapy.

Back