• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1000TX big Blue chip

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Does anyone out there have a carcass or parts T1000TX Parts Machine or board. I need what is known as the big blue chip it controls the video potput

The manuals for the Tandy 1000EX/SX, which I *think* use a chip that's functionally identical to the one in the TX but I wouldn't swear it's the same revision, list it as Tandy part number 8040684; it's an 84 pin gate array.

Some years ago there was some outfit in the UK that had NOS spares for a few Tandy 1000 proprietary chips (I remember seeing a Youtube video that called them out as a source for the timing chip in the 1000SX), but my recollection is that they disappeared/ran out/whatever. Seems really unlikely you'll be able to find one without scavenging it from another unit.

What makes you certain it's the big blue that's damaged? There are buffers between it and the RGB output so it'd take a little work to kill it, I'd try replacing those and the RAM first depending on the symptoms.

Autogard is the UK company which bought out Tandy's inventory of ICs. But several years ago I tried e-mailing them multiple times and never received a response. Nonetheless if you want to give them a try:

Hi Eudi, I did try all the RAM chips and anything that was socket-ed and still had Garbage video out. Even tried moveing some jumpers no help. I know I can just add a VGA and it might work. But I want the original to work

I finally looked up my Big Blue chip it is part number 8040837 so not the same as the EX, But I decided to put a VGA card in it after all. A trident 9000c board

Back