• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 1400FD

new age tech

this has just came to me, and was curious if it was worth anything to someone who has a desire for "vintage computing"
Im going to post this on ebay and let ppl bid on it if they want.

i also have a epson action printer 3250, not sure it works yet.
The tandy does power on, im not sure how to operate this machine so i cant say for sure that it is "fully operational"

thanks for reading my post and i await your comments.

The 1400FD/LT is probably of value only to a Tandy afficionado like myself. They regularly sell on eBay for $5. - 20.00, although they did spike for awhile last spring, when a few of them sold in the $75.- 100.00 range. The prices seem to have come back down to earth again in recent months.

You'll probably get a better price for it if you can check it's functionality. For that you'll need a 720K bootdisk, any ol' DOS version will do, but if you want to access any of it's "special" features, you'll want to get the specific version OEMed to Tandy for that model. If you check the website www.radioshack.com you should find the manual and mebbe even some software for it.

--T

Re: Tandy 1400FD

new age tech said:
this has just came to me, and was curious if it was worth anything to someone who has a desire for "vintage computing"
Im going to post this on ebay and let ppl bid on it if they want.

thanks for reading my post and i await your comments.

As Terry said it has value only to a Tandy specific collector. I have a 1400LT the forerunner model to your 1400FD. I keep it only because I have owned it since it was introduced in 1987. It was my second portable, the first being a TRS-80 Model 100 (which I wish I had not sold) and being my primary programming panel for AB PLC-2's and SLK-100/150's, I spent hours and hours staring at it's little backlit screen. Therefore I choose to keep it but wouldn't pay over a couple of bucks for another if I even wanted one. I would buy a 1400HD if I ran across a functional example of those at a reasonable price.

Good luck with your find on ebay.

Yeah...nostalgia...me too...
My first and second PC compatible laptops were both Tandys. First, I bought an 1100FD from a local pawnshop for $50.00. After using it for awhile, I met a guy who had a 1400FD, and I was so impressed by that big, backlit screen that I swapped him on the spot (apparently, he was impressed by the 1100's small size & weight). I had that FD right up until a couple of years ago, when I gave it to my nephew, who lost it in a house break-in shortly after. Of course, the nostalgia bug bit me, and I ended up buying a 1400HD on eBay, since that was the one I always wished for.
Oh yeah, I also have picked up another 1100FD and an 1110HD, and just to complete the set, bought a Panasonic Business Partner 150 a couple weeks ago. The Panasonic version is even better, since it has a transflective backlit screen.

--T

Back