• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 200 screen- repairable?

arfink

Experienced Member
I have a Tandy 200 which I got a few years ago, and the screen now has two malfunctioning lines. One goes vertically, one horizontally, but neither goes all the way across the screen, and the vertical one is just very dim while the other doesn't power on at all. Upon examining the internals of the screen (which was an absolute pain to get into, by the way) I didn't notice anything obviously wrong. I suspect that some kind of pressure-fit connector has come loose, or a connection has a cold solder joint or something along those lines. Does this sound repairable? My other options are to scrap the 200 (NEVER!) or pay $40 for a replacement LCD panel from Club 100.

I was considering a short application of a heat gun to the proximity of the connector near the bad line to re-flow the solder. Does this sound like a good or bad idea? I don't feel like using my soldering iron just yet because even though I'm pretty good with it I don't want to risk overheating things or crossing pins.

Interesting comment about the heat gun.
Generally, I have not yet had success in fixing an LCD with line issues, and I have several to play with!
Did you try the heat gun? What kind of heat gun? PCB and other bits will get plenty warm.
Club 100 is the sure thing though.

Do you know what all is needed to replace the LCD? If there isn't much risk in messing anything else up (and also maybe check for other model 200's to gauge the price) it may not be a bad risk to try and fix it and in the long run if you need a new lcd then you can do that afterward. I haven't really repaired any but I would imagine a connecting pin could be the cause or possibly even a voltage issue.

Back