• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 3000NL - What to do?

TomFCS

Experienced Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here might have opinions about what this thing might be worth. Not knowing it's value has me wondering what to do with it or how much more time or effort I might spend on it. There doesn't seem to be all that much info about it via Google and I was thinking it might not be all that common of a machine.

10 MHZ 80286
640 KB Memory
BIOS Ver. 01.04.00
Deico EGA-S800R1
WD1003-WAH

So far, new CMOS battery, the ST-225 was grinding really loud like sandpaper and got pretty hot, pulled that out. Floppy seems to work alright, copied a few disks with it ok, spent some time and cleaned the whole thing up a bit, I think it turned out pretty well.

Pics ---> http://www.welook4things.com/sub_tandy_3000nl.html

Also, would adding a functional ST-225 bump up this things value much? I've got a few good ones left, I'm just not sure if it's worth using one of them up on this project.

Any suggestions or estimates of it's value be would be helpful and of course appreciated.

We actually discussed this in another thread (search on Tandy 3000 ) and came to the conclusion that we don't know why there doesn't seem to be many T3Ks out there and there doesn't seem to be any empirical or anecdotal data on what they go for.

Someone is sending me a 3000HD and EGA monitor in appreciation for some help I gave them and I have no idea what the sell the T3K for either.

It may not be easy to say what it's worth, but without a doubt, it's worth considerably more with a functional hard drive. For the little bit of time & effort to swap-out the drive, you might as well go for it, cause it's next to impossible to unload anything that's not 100%.

--T

Thanks Druid, too bad though, I was kind of hoping maybe there was some new info available, but as you say it seems to still be an unknown.

Terry, I was also thinking the same thing about not being complete and hard to sell as is.

Now I'm curious, would it be possible/feasible to use an 16 bit ISA controller and IDE drive with this Tandy BIOS? I have a working 286 with a 105 mb seagate that's just sitting here collecting dust. If it is possible, is there anything special I should know first?

Have you thought of re-lubricating the spindle on the ST225? There's a finite supply of these and they are definitely worth saving IMHO.

BG

Just an update. I ended up selling the T3k to a forum member without the HD installed.

Funny thing is that I powered up the drive a couple of days ago (unfortunately after the sale...) and for some reason, now the thing is a quiet as can be. I haven't installed it into anything else and tested it yet, but at least now it sounds ok. I'm sure I tried the right drive too, it's the only one I have with a RS sticker on it.

When time permits I'll test it further.

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to reply.

Tom

Back