• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy 3100 - This Section?

Raven

Veteran Member
I just got a Tandy 3100 (486-powered with VGA). It's a Tandy machine but not "Tandy compatible" - does it belong here or in the 486 section?

Well, the description reads "... about the Tandy/TRS-80 line of computers from the Model I on up." Tandy 3100 is certainly on the line of computers. Admittedly almost last generation, but still a Tandy computer... of course, it hardly has most of their charms. 3-voice/DAC went out with the 1000s, right? I know Tandy Video was long gone...

Indeed, that's why I figured it could really go in either. I just wondered if the people who frequent the Tandy section would think it appropriate, regardless of whether technically correct. :)

I have a vague recollection that there was something special about the 3000 originally (as in 386-dx20, CPU cache perhaps?).

The 3000 was a little more "Tandy" in spirit. The 3100 is a fairly generic 486 clone. Unless it has some kind of Tandy oddity (like the video and sound in the 1000 line, or that funky plus expansion slot) then my vote is that it goes in one of the PC categories.

AFAIK it's just a well-designed 486 box, but on the outside it looks like an extra-large 1000-series machine.

What made it so? After the 1000s my knowledge is pretty sparse other than they became increasingly generic...

The 3000 was a 286 introduced in 1986. At that time, they had only the 1000 (just the 1000, not SX, HX, TX or such), the 1200 (which was on the way out), the 2000 and the 3000 as MS-DOS machines. The 1000sx and ex came out the next year. See RSC-16 and RSC-17 catalogs for more information.

It probably still had proprietary power connectors. It did not look like a 1000 series machine (at least not like a 1000, 1000a, or 1000sx). Unlike many of the later models (which were manufactured by AST) the 3000 was probably at least influenced in part by Tandy engineers.

Last edited:
Raven,

Odd request, but could you post up a picture of the machine? Nostalgic values.

Thanks,

--Jack

:D Welp life complete.

I sure do miss my Tandy 2100. Wish I'd never gotten rid of it. It played an important roll in my initial experiences with vintage computing, and helped me in to the hobby. It didn't do nearly as much as my Apple IIc, but it greatly puzzled and intrigued me. I know, can we be talking about the same beige-box? Oh yes we are. What I'd give to have that ol girl back.

--Jack

Back