• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy case repair

No adhesive. Try MEK -- apply a thin film to each part and press together until set.

I've got lots of stuff that looks great after this treatment--it's nearly invisible, since you're dissolving the plastic that the object's made from.

Failing that, try cyanoacrylate.

No adhesive. Try MEK -- apply a thin film to each part and press together until set.

I've got lots of stuff that looks great after this treatment--it's nearly invisible, since you're dissolving the plastic that the object's made from.

Failing that, try cyanoacrylate.

Thanks, Chuck. I should have added "or solvent". :)

As a trained body man, I would recommend sanding the area around the crack first, then applying a strip of drywall tap over the crack. After the tape is sticking apply a layer of epoxy(JB Weld) over the crack and tape. Make sure you have the area prepped well. It'll be stronger than before. This is all done on the inside, btw.

Happy to hear it. I've occasionally also taken scrap and used a file to make some plastic dust, wet it with MEK and then spackled it into gaps where the original bits have been lost. With a bit of sanding, it looks fine--and the cracks don't reappear.

I have used moldable epoxy putty (JB PlasticWeld is one example) for structural/internal repairs. You can even mold it around screws to create screw points, and it sticks quite well to most case materials I've used it on.

It's light blue when it cures, though; it won't look real good for external work, but you can also use it to bridge gaps and surface with another material later, like Chuck's plastic spackle.

Happy to hear it. I've occasionally also taken scrap and used a file to make some plastic dust, wet it with MEK and then spackled it into gaps where the original bits have been lost. With a bit of sanding, it looks fine--and the cracks don't reappear.

I've done the same thing with acrylic and Weld-On #4.

W-O 4 is trike and methylene chloride. Don't inhale the fumes. I'm surprised that consumers can still buy anything containing trike. Maybe not in California? Probably not in the EU either.

Back