• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Modem Documentation Needed: Model DC 2212

clh333

Veteran Member
Somehow this showed up complete with the 16.5VAC adapter, although I honestly don't remember when or from whence it came. It bears the Catalog # 26-1176 and is described (Thanks, Ira! * ) as a Bell 212A standard modem from the 1980s. $399 when new; that's about $1000 in today's dollars.

It powers up, it lights up and it responds to the RS-232 port initialization. But either it does not obey the Hayes command set syntax or there is an internal problem. My problem is: I don't know which is the case.

I couldn't find docs in any of the usual places so I thought I would ask here. Thanks,
-CH-

Attachments

• photo64855.jpg
    photo64855.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It’s been a while but, yeah, I don’t think that’s Hayes compatible.

Not by a mile: "* ." to bring the modem to attention for programming, then a list of single-letter commands for configuration and action. I downloaded files 05681.txt through 05689.txt from the oldskool site via FTP (FileZilla). 05683 specifically most appropriate.

Thank you for the reference; I never would have found it.

-CH-

After inquiring about documentation I found I had the docs for this modem... :oops::oops: I have scanned it if anyone needs a copy but since it is 8+ Mb I will not store it here.

Still haven't made intelligent communication with the modem, however. I send a command to the modem and it responds with non-alphabetic characters, and not necessarily the right number of them.

-CH-

Update: With the help of an RS-232 tester I determined that the cable was at fault.:mad: I have now communicated successfully with the modem.

IMG_4311.JPG

-CH-

Back