• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy TRS-80 Model 4

Se87

Experienced Member
Okay, I think I've finally got brave enough to open it up. It started smoking this summer and would like to fix it. I have the 5 meg disk drive and it needs a key, might as well get both fixed, aye? So where should I start, how well is the CRT mounted in the casing? I'm going to get my manuals out for it.

Okay, got it out. The "smoke" smell has definately died down since the last time I've used it. I've also noticed that the disk drive latch won't come down, but it isn't the standard style latch. Pictures soon.

I think the trouble you are having is that this machine is not a trs 80.

I guess they put the huge "TRS-80" logo on it for nothing. If you mean my signature I know, that's a Lisa 1. I'm making a replica face plate for a Lisa 2.

Well now you have removed the two HUGE pictures of the lisa and replaced it with a smaller picture of a trs 80, people will not understand what my post was referring to.

Last edited:
Well now you have removed the two HUGE pictures of the lisa and replaced it with a smaller picture of a trs 80, people will not understand what my post was referring to.

Your welcome. If you think this is one of those trashy color computers then no, this is the hefty models, like a TRS-80 Model 3 only white. It also has 128k too.

I hear "scraping" when beginning to open the case, is that normal?

Inside the case,the drives are held in a metal frame, while the monitor is fixed into the plastic top-case making it heavy and difficult to lift off without touching the drive cage which will cause a scraping sound as it is lifted off, so yes it is normal.

Inside the case,the drives are held in a metal frame, while the monitor is fixed into the plastic top-case making it heavy and difficult to lift off without touching the drive cage which will cause a scraping sound as it is lifted off, so yes it is normal.

Thank you, I'd bet money on the power supply smoking. Would it be cheaper to replace a cap or just replace the whole thing? I heard you could replace it with a normal power supply out of a modern desktop machine.

I do not have that level of technical knowledge of the machine but I would think if there was a problem with the power supply it would be preferable to repair it rather than replace it, for one thing if you mean a PC power supply, it has a 24 or so pin plug that will not fir anything on the trs 80 mainboard.
I have the technical manual for the model 1, maybe you can get the technical manual for the model 4.

I do not have that level of technical knowledge of the machine but I would think if there was a problem with the power supply it would be preferable to repair it rather than replace it, for one thing if you mean a PC power supply, it has a 24 or so pin plug that will not fir anything on the trs 80 mainboard.
I have the technical manual for the model 1, maybe you can get the technical manual for the model 4.

I have all the models that came with the machine :).

I barely cracked the case and "low and behold" the devastation odor welcomed my lungs. Not exactly a good welcoming either. If I don't get it fixed the smell HAS to go.

Do you know how well old CRTS can be? I am lifting the case and don't want to "bump" the neck on any power boards.

Here is the first of a three part series of videos of someone taking their model 3 apart, it will give you an idea of what to expect when you open yours.

Here is the first of a three part series of videos of someone taking their model 3 apart, it will give you an idea of what to expect when you open yours.

Thank you, I didn't realize it was 3 part.

I think a bug might have just fallen down in it, is it plausible? There were lots of smoke but I don't smell it any longer or see the source.

Back