• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tandy Xenix SUPERVISOR TRAP 4 Panic

NeXT

Veteran Member
Finally had the chance to try out my Xenix disks with the MC68000 board in my Model II.

CRW_7786.jpg

CRW_7777.jpg

CRW_7782.jpg

Not sure if it's a ROM compatibility issue or if one of the many hacks to the boardset is acting up. I have no documentation so I ahve no clue what a Trap 4 panic is.

Wow, I didn't know that a 68k board existed for this machine. Very cool!
I found a manual for Xenix 3.2.0, it says this:

"Supervisor trap d
panic: trap in sys
The 68000 cpu has generated a TRAP number while executing kernel or device driver code. This message is preceded with an information dump describing the trap. Hardware or system inconsistency. fatal."

Not sure it is helpful.

I had a feeling it was hardware. Yeah, I discovered tenox after I posted. The Operations Guide states that the first thing you have to do is format your disk/hard drive with DISKUTIL. Unless I'm mistaken I do believe xenix wouldn't be happy if it doesn't have a filesystem to mount.
So I have a Seagate ST-225 attached to a Type 4 hard disk controller on my system because according to the Tandy Folk that should work. (and I was talking more about here on the forums last year)
CRW_7789.jpg

Now, the error map fell off my '225 years ago so I just skipped the mapping part.

CRW_7790.jpg

I doubt the drive is bad. I have to be doing something wrong.

Perhaps diskutil doesn't accept an empty media error map?
Did you try just entering one entry for the media error map? The first line of the example perhaps?

Tried another drive that DID still have an error map with it and no, this is either a configuration or controller issue.
Of course, it would be nice if I could confirm that the Type 4 controller works with Xenix 1.03.

Back