• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

teac FD-50A

Lurch666

Experienced Member
So I've got the expansion interface working with my video genie and it came with a matching dual disk drive but unfortunately the second drive isn't spinning.
It's a TEAC FD-50A and I presume it's the motor that spins the disk that has failed.It's marked as a TEAC 05279 and I'm wondering if any of you know of an available replacement as I can't find one on the net.I have an ebay saved search just in case.
I could use another old floppy but would like to replace either just the motor or get an identical floppy drive.

I probably have one of the motors, but remember these are unreliable old drives, so make sure its the motor first? Swap logic boards and see if it does the same thing for example.

PM me if needed.

Ian.

It looks the same.I've pulled one faulty one out of mine and it has 13 wires of various colours going to a white connector.
Just zoomed into one of your pictures and the bottom number (14733660-10) matches mine.
Looks like it's a match.

Terrible drives--not typical of Teac's later offerings. I've heard reports that Teac contracted out these drives and that they weren't manufactured in-house. I don't know if that's the case.

I'm impressed that one of the drives is still working after all these years.As always it's hard to get replacement parts but that's part of this hobby.

Glad there's still dudes around who can help.

Replacement motor turned up today (very quick) but even though I thought the connector would be standard they aren't.The wires are in a different order and are different colours plus the connector is smaller even though they both have 13 wires.
(New one on the left)

2015-12-02%2013.31.11_zpslvwsteyr.jpg

Thanks for trying Ian.
I will keep looking but for now I am going to use a different floppy drive so I can get things up and running.

That's a shame, I thought we had it nailed! I'm sure I have more of these drives, if I find one I'll check it out closely now I have a nice clear photo of the connector.

Which one do you need, the left or right?

Also, just a thought, although it would be annoying to cut and solder and cover the joins in heat shrink tubing all those 13 wires, do the colour counts match up? I call it the nothing-ventured-nothing-gained school of vintage IT thought, since you have a dead motor and a good motor with connector mismatch you don't really stand to lose anything.

Ian.

I looked into that but the are more brown wires on one and looking closely I realised there are 14 wires on the one you sent me while the original (the on on the right) only had 13.
The motor you sent me will be kept as a spare-It may be years but I bet at sometime it will come in handy!
I didn't think that there would be any compatibility problems with the part number being the same but I am still learning (next time I will post a full picture of the part I'm looking for).

$_57.jpg

just got this for £15 from ebay.Coming from Germany so postage could double the price but it an identical (from the front anyway) drive.

Back