• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Testing Osborne 1 Images

Formulator

Experienced Member
Recently obtained a lot of original Osborne 1 disks (18 in total), some SD, some DD from a local estate sale. CP/M system disks, utilities, Supercalc, etc. I would like a way to test the images I have dumped, as I do not own an Osborne.

I dumped them using a Kryoflux and converted them to .IMD using HxC tools.

Process went smoothly, however I had errors on track 0 of the Turbo Pascal disks during the dumping process. HxC tools does not show any bad sectors.

Just curious if there is a good method to test these newly minted images in the absence of the physical unit.

I am also happy to share the images if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

I can test those images for you on my osborne 1 with dd disks. I would also be interested in turbo pascal disks.

Thanks

Recently obtained a lot of original Osborne 1 disks (18 in total), some SD, some DD from a local estate sale. CP/M system disks, utilities, Supercalc, etc. I would like a way to test the images I have dumped, as I do not own an Osborne.

I dumped them using a Kryoflux and converted them to .IMD using HxC tools.

Process went smoothly, however I had errors on track 0 of the Turbo Pascal disks during the dumping process. HxC tools does not show any bad sectors.

Just curious if there is a good method to test these newly minted images in the absence of the physical unit.

I am also happy to share the images if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

Yep, Mame project has the Osborne as one of their targets. The emulator runs fairly well...

Formulator,
Sure, since you have the .IMD files, you can use the Dave Dunfield Utilities (imda, and imdu) to create a .RAW image.

Then with cpmtools (or cpmtools built with libdsk) you can access the .RAW files.

# OSB1 Osborne 1 - SSSD 48 tpi 5.25" - 256 x 10
diskdef osb1
seclen 256
tracks 40
sectrk 10
blocksize 2048
maxdir 64
skew 2
boottrk 3
os 2.2
end

# libdsk data below
[osb1]
description = OSB1 Osborne 1 - SSSD 48 tpi 5.25" - 256 x 10
cylinders = 40
heads = 1
secsize = 256
sectors = 10
secbase = 1
datarate = SD

# OSB2 Osborne 1 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 1024 x 5
diskdef osb2
seclen 1024
tracks 40
sectrk 5
blocksize 1024
maxdir 64
skew 1
boottrk 3
os 2.2
end

# libdsk data below
[osb2]
description = OSB2 Osborne 1 - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 1024 x 5
cylinders = 40
heads = 1
secsize = 1024
sectors = 5
secbase = 1
datarate = DD

The cpmtools definitions go in the diskdefs file in the cpmtools-2.x version, and the libdsk definitions go in the .libdskrc file
for your /home/user directory.

To create the .RAW file do the following commands:
Code:
$imda your1stfile.IMD > your1tstfile.txt
$imdu your1stfile.IMD your1stfile.RAW /B /E /D >> yourf1stfile.txt

Then do the remaining OSborne .IMD files. To get a directory listing use cpmls
Code:
cpmls -f osb1 -D your1stfile.raw
cpmls -f osb1 -T raw,osb1 -D your1stfile.raw
cpmls -f osb1 -d your1stfile.raw
You can insert files in the .RAW, or extract/delete files and then rebuild the .IMD file using the updated .RAW file.

A good tutorial is located on the Debian Fourms Website.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=112244

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help. I was able to successfully test the images using MameUI64. As far as I can tell the disks and images are working. I'm away for the weekend but can post the images next week.

Please see the link below for images. In the end, the KF/HXC path did not work out. I used a TEAC FD-55B 360K FD to dump the images via IMD. Strangely enough, I have a P3 system that can successfully dump SD diskettes. I also included scans to accompany each image. Please let me know if there are any issues with a particular image.

https://mega.nz/#!2csmSIZA!UnCk2wxwdNAIVFnTzfsfbhos20iyY95IFD6ACnqUiZA

Thanks! I have not tried disk images yet but scan images are already cool on its own. Appreciated everything downloaded in a single file as well!

Back