• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Text editors

ravuya

Experienced Member
I'm busily looking for an old Atari 800 on ebay or in somebody's closet to pick up; in the meantime I'm running an emulator. Wanted to see how Deep Blue C works, but unfortunately it looks like I have to find a text editor. Any suggestions?

I'm not exactly sure if you're looking for an Atari based text editor or a PC based one.

If you're running an emulator you're probably best off running a PC based editor and then pasting the results into the emulator window. If you do that, there's a ton of great editors to run on the PC. My personal favorite is Visual SlickEdit which is extremely configurable. I also like QEdit which may or may not still be around. At worst, you can use either notepad or wordpad for fairly simple text editing.

If you need to run the editor on the Atari itself, I'm not sure what's out there as disk images so I'll have to defer to someone more experienced with that.

Good luck finding an Atari 800!

Erik

I need to put text files on the Atari so I can compile them. ;) Since I know of no way to make text files other than to use a text editor I probably need an Atari text editor.

Ramming into the end of this thread again...

I went out today and picked up an 800XL + 1050 drive.

I managed to load one of the Games disks that came with it but the DOS disk only comes up as boot error. I'm turning the system and drive off, then turning the drive on, putting in a disk, shutting the shutter, and waiting until all the blinkenlights stop to turn the Atari on. Seems to work; is this right? Can't find a manual anywhere for the 1050 and the machine manual in the box is for the 130XE...

What you're doing should work. You don't really need to wait too long to turn on the computer and you can turn on the drive, then the computer and then close the drive door and things should work. Worst case you'll have to hit reset to get the machine to boot.

Enjoy your new computer!

Erik

Yeah, it's working okay, I think some of my disks are fried though. Question: How do I get the thing to save from BASIC to a floppy? I put the disk switch over to the non-boot position and started up but SAVE "D:FOOBAR.BAS" gives me an error 130 (hardware not found).

I havn't checked this in a while, so sorry if this info comes a little late...

Erik, if you want to edit text on a PC and then put it in an emulator of some sort, you have to use an ASCII to ATASCII converter. Straight up ASCII values like lowercase and uppercase chars, numbers, and symbols are almost all the same, but I'm sure you're aware of the Atari's "inverse video" characters. The only major thing aside from inverse video chars is the ATASCII EOL (End Of Line/carriage return) character. It has a value of 155, and on an IBM, that get's you some obscure symbol that I don't recall.

Ravuya: I have a load of 1050/DOS 2.5 manuals. If you need me to, I can scan one for you, or even give you one if you'll pay the postage.

Also, Ravuya, what version of DOS are you running?

As for saving from BASIC, try typing your save command as SAVE"D1:FOOBAR.BAS". If you have an actual Atari DOS, "D:" defaults to D1: so you can ditch the number 1. If it's some other DOS, you may have to specify.

If you are just getting into the new Atari revolution, I strongly recommend that you check out www.atarimax.com and get APE and the cable for it. It is well worth the money.

Good luck with your new toy!

I think I have a baked copy of Atari DOS 2.5, it won't boot correctly (but I'll figure out how to fix that later).

I will try to pick up APE + the SIO2PC cable, but seeing as the SIO2PC cable will cost me more than the machine did :)(), it may not be much of an impulse purchase.

I'm having fun coding simple games in BASIC for it though. Love the little bugger.

I would recommend scouring eBay for an APE/SIO2PC cable. You can usually find them on there cheaper than what you can at atarimax.com.

If you do get the cable, I can hook you up with all kinds of neat stuff.

AtariManiac said:
I would recommend scouring eBay for an APE/SIO2PC cable. You can usually find them on there cheaper than what you can at atarimax.com.

If you do get the cable, I can hook you up with all kinds of neat stuff.

Both www.sunmark.com and atariclassics.com sell SIO2PC boards to allow you to slave your PC in the background so your Atari can use its hard disks, disk drives, serial port and parallel ports as its own.

atariclassics.com also sells APE (Atari Periperhals Emulator) which is the software needed on the PC side to run an SIO2PC interface, its a trial/demo and costs $45.99 for the full version, quite worth it, there is a PD package out there called atari810 but the last time I tried it, its was rather buggy, but it may have improved, I own APE full version now so I haven't bothered with the PD version anymore.

Curt

Back