• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thames: ISIS-II emulator

JohnElliott

Veteran Member
The PL/M parts of CP/M 3 are compiled, as a rule, by an ISIS-hosted compiler. Currently this means they can only be built under CP/M 2 (with ISX.COM) or DOS (with ISIS.EXE; see cpm3src.zip at <http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html> ).

I've now written an emulator, thames, which emulates enough of ISIS to run these tools under Unix. I've also made an updated cpm3src.zip with Unixy build scripts rather than DOS batch files, which may find its way to www.cpm.z80.de in due time.

I don't know if there's a native PL/M compiler for CP/M; the ISIS one had the advantage that it was the original build tool for CP/M 3, so all the sources would compile pretty much unmodified.

When it comes to other platforms, writing an ISIS emulator is a lot easier than writing a PL/M cross-compiler, so that's what people did.

Also, bear in mind that PL/M existed to compile 8051, 8086 as well as x80.

IIRC, Udo Munk's unix4fun.org had/has a third-party CP/M PLM80 compiler in the Z80pack tarball, but the site seems to be offline at the moment.

Hi john
I'm Andre FLAGOTHIER from Belgium
I have installed your ISIS-II Emulator on my DEBIAN system following your instructions
Now the emulator seems working properly
I have to recompile a whole application for an independent equipment based on 8085
First of all I tried to find a PLM80 compiler running under DOS but the ones I found are very old version and the sources to recompile use a recent syntax. That's the reason why I switched to a emulator system
I don' t know what to install in the 3 subdirs PLM80, ASM80 and UTILS, to be able to execute a command like ":F1:plm80 test.plm"
Can you help me
Regards

Back