• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The collection so far

Vlad

Just today I acquired a light sixer as a gift which goes along nicely with my others. So far I have a CX-2600 light sixer, a CX-2600 A 4 switch with wood trim, and a CX-2600 A black 4 switch in its original box with price tag. ($89.99 from a department store) To go along with those I have 2 sets of Joysticks, a paddle set and the touch pad thingy that came boxed with a game.

All in all I'm pretty proud of my collection. I still have vage memories of being really little and playing Pitfall at my grandparents, which is where the black CX-2600 A came from. Anyone have the cost reduced "Atari Jr." version of the 2600? I never knew about those until today, they look interesting but I've never seen one before.

The only 2600s I've kept were a "Heavy Sixer" and a JR. There are a bunch of images of them which come up on Google. A "cute" 2600. Possibly why I kept it. A channel 2/3 selector, a left and right controller, and 2 A/B difficulty switches (which makes me think of handicapping for players of different skills. Cool ! ), a power input and RCA output on back, 4 switches on front, ON/Off, color/BW, Select, and Reset. All in a 6"x 10" package with a somewhat Rainbow decal on the front.

I've always thought of the 130xe as a "baby" ST even tho one was an 8-bit machine and the other a 16-bit. The XEGS with it's pastel colors was also in the design character of the Ataris. A triumph, all, of marketing design. Even the 800SL was a cool design when compared to the 800, much less the boxy Atari PC. By that time Tramiel must have decimated the brilliant design department for cheaper designers. Nothing special design-wise about the Megas, the TT030, or the Falcon.

The early Ataris were designed for the home market, and only some of the Sinclairs approached their style.

Lawrence

Last edited:
The collection so far

Your collection is astounding. I would give my right arm to be able to have a complete set of the comics. Well, maybe not, but Id think about it really hard.

Back