• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Laptop Shelf

3lectr1c

Veteran Member
…is what I call my storage/display area.
E5D358E7-A402-4D58-8119-503E127877BA.jpeg
If you guys are interested, I can go more into detail on each one so let me know. Pretty proud of where I’m at right now!

Ah, I actually don't own most of the actual devices, I just think the boxes look neat so I keep them up there as a display item. Now, I do collect phones, but nothing as new as the Xr or even the 8 Plus up there, just the older stuff. Mainly just to run old iOS games and relive the past, similar reasons to why most people who collect old computers do so I'd imagine.

Ok they are boxes! Ok that makes more sense. I was wondering how that worked.

I hear you. I just cant wrap my head around "OLD iOS". Its all new to me. To me they all seem the same.. Since the smart phones came out till now.. They dont seem any different.... Maybe worse?

Nice old mac laptops. I like the pre OSX stuff too.. I just try to avoid collecting laptops as when the screen dies they are useless and 99% of portables have no modern replacement to fall back on.

I haven't run into many screen issues, insurmountable ones that is. You're going to have 4 problems:
1. Bad capacitors, in which you replace them and the screen starts working again
2. Vinegar Syndrome, where the LCD polarizer layer's adhesive fails and causes problems. This can be replaced, although I've never run into it.
3. Tunnel Vision, an issue only on active matrix monochrome and grayscale displays, where the corners of the screen will darken, creating a vignette effect. This can be somewhat fixed by baking the LCD in the oven (yep).
4. Bad pixels/dead lines. Can be caused by bad connections, failed driver ICs, age, a broken display cable, etc. It isn't nearly as common as you'd think though.
So anyways, most screens still work/can be fixed with a bit of work.

As for "old iOS", it's pretty much an age thing. I'm a lot younger than a lot of people in this hobby, and so for me the iOS 6 days do feel like a long time ago, and I do feel nostalgia over them. I can understand why this wouldn't be for everyone though.

I Dunno I cant speak for anyone but myself but I guess Nostalgia didnt happen until my 30's. Hense I dont understand a Nostalgia for around 15 years ago. But yeah, to each thier own.

Back