• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The one that got away... Amiga 4000 Toaster. And blaming Jimmy Maher.

sgifanatic

Experienced Member
An Amiga 4000 auction just closed on eBay. I was one of the losing bidders. Honestly, I'm not sure why I was bidding to begin with, other than I seem to have caught Amiga fever. I've just gotten in to collecting Commodore stuff and picked up my first Amiga 500 not a month ago. What business do I have bidding for a 4000 straight off the bat? :)

Here's a link to the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181566511565

And an image in case eBay removes the closed auction at some point in the not too distant future:

Screenshot 2014-10-29 14.41.31.jpg

On a somewhat tangential note, I partially blame my Amiga fever on Jimmy Maher's excellent book from the MIT Press platform series, "The Future Was Here". I am almost done with it and it's got me thinking overtime about the novelty and elegance of the Amiga. Quite the thought provoking book. Highly recommended.

Hmm. I posted a high res image and it was size reduced. Let me see if there's a different upload option.

Honestly I have yet to find a use for anything more than an Amiga 2000. I have a 3000 in storage somewhere but even then all you're really playing most of the times are games.

I hear you. Had I won, the 4000 would have been ignored at least for some time. I have a BeBox, Next cube and Nextstation color, along with several older Apples/Macs and Commodores that need my attention. Maybe at some point I'll get another Amiga, but for now, I think I owe it to my existing boxen to get them fully operational first.

Honestly I have yet to find a use for anything more than an Amiga 2000. I have a 3000 in storage somewhere but even then all you're really playing most of the times are games.

I never liked the A4000, but, I always preferred the 3000 to the 2000. It's much easier to set up an A3000 for "modern" uses than an A2000. But then, I never played a lot of games.

I have a BeBox, Next cube and Nextstation color, along with several older Apples/Macs and Commodores

Very badass :) Which Commodores? .. I forgot to invite you to the Central Texas Amiga Computing Society meeting although it's really just a get together with a few members/friends these days. I keep feeling guilty of not showing up or if I do not having something to work on although that was really more of an effort to resurrect the group meeting past. I'm not sure how many would remember all the tricks of fixing a system but it's still a fun time if anyone does bring something to look at (if we have power or they bring a power strip at the pizza place to use).

I need to get off my ass albeit it's been a more daunting task than I expected but I do need to offload some Amiga gear (well actually and I could do with a few less Indy/Indigos and Suns) sometime soon if you're interested in some cheap projects. I haven't had time to test many of them in the last few years though so that's what I've really been sitting on. No 4000 though, those have always been to rich for my blood. Not exactly sure why but they do always seem to end up selling in the high hundreds (with a toaster).

Ironically the last Amiga 4000 I actually bid on (lost of course.. does anyone know who won it? I didn't read this entire thread) was Dick Van Dyke's which if memory serves me correctly didn't sell for that much more than a regular 4000 does now lol (I think maybe 1200?). I do sort of kick myself for not trying harder but at the time it was still being guessed as to whether it was legitimate and how to prove it. (Towards the end the seller who was some sort of employee of him I think said he'd also include pictures of Dick signing the system as well).

I always wonder if/when that system might pop up again.

I'd like to know too. A couple years ago when I was looking for a Toaster 2000, the Toaster 4000's were going for next to nothing.

Depends on location I guess. A4000's on their own get $200+ more if they are the 68040 versions. Toaster 2000's are not as popular unless they are upgraded.

Expect to pay at least $300 for a A4000/040. Also expect it to not include a mouse or keyboard AND have to put some work into it (battery damage and/or recap). Well sorted units can go for $500. The Video Toaster 4000 cards sell separate for cheap, but considering approximately 97% of Amiga 4000's sold in the US were Toaster workstations, they usually come with the card anyway!

Very badass :) Which Commodores? ..

Thank you :)

Commodores at present include a 64 with SDIEC, Amiga 500 with broken Trump Card, PET CBM 8032 with disk drive. Also have an Atari 1040ST... the arch nemesis!

I forgot to invite you to the Central Texas Amiga Computing Society meeting although it's really just a get together with a few members/friends these days. I keep feeling guilty of not showing up or if I do not having something to work on although that was really more of an effort to resurrect the group meeting past.

Sounds like fun. If I'm in town, I might just show up at the next one :) My Amiga fu is weak as I've just gotten into Commodore, but it'll be a good avenue for me to learn.

Expect to pay at least $300 for a A4000/040. Also expect it to not include a mouse or keyboard AND have to put some work into it (battery damage and/or recap). Well sorted units can go for $500. The Video Toaster 4000 cards sell separate for cheap, but considering approximately 97% of Amiga 4000's sold in the US were Toaster workstations, they usually come with the card anyway!

Thank you, Unknown_K and njroadfan! That is indeed useful. Perhaps the A4000 quest will take me to Amibay, though I've noticed most systems listed there are in Europe.

Yeah I'd be excited if I could find a 4000 for that cheap (although personally I really do like the 2000 series the best). Most of what I've seen lines up with the $800 range but perhaps it's for the toasters. I never did find a toaster for my 2000 or 3000 but not that I'd really use it anyway, I just enjoy the games and other abilities. There are a few cards that really increase prices of systems. That'd be an interesting list to see some time. The toaster and bridgeboards are some of them for the Amiga at least. Apple II it's SCSI and RAM cards that go above 1MB (4MB card I think had a $200 or so price tag before).

Amibay can be as pricey (or more) then Ebay for Amiga items.

Years ago I purchased an A4000 untested as-is for $100 shipped. Luckily for me it worked and came with a sound card installed, but it could have been 100% dead and useless. With my recent acquisition of an A1000 I have all the desktop models I wanted (1000,2000, 3000,4000) plus the A500/1200. Hopefully I am done collecting Amiga desktops but I did recently buy a spare 2000 so who knows.

Back