• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Self-running Promo/Demo Disks Thread

Trixter

Veteran Member
What's a demo/promo disk? In this context, they are demonstration programs meant to show off the capabilities of the computer they are running on, and are customized for one specific computer. They follow one of two designs:
  • Non-interactive, self-running programs meant for a promotional store display
  • Interactive tutorial programs meant to introduce the computer (or personal computing concepts in general) to a new owner
"Where can I get the demo diskette for 'Computer System X'" is a topic that seems to come up a lot. It is suggested in those threads that "someone ought to gather them up into an archive or something" (I'm paraphrasing). While you can usually find these things scattered throughout the universe, I felt it would be beneficial to gather them up into a single location, so I've started to do that. The archive is here:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/SystemDemoDisks/ (with a short readme.txt explaining what is there)

The archive is not limited to IBM PCs and compatibles, but it may appear that way because that is the majority of what is there right now. If you'd like to contribute computer system promo/demo disks for other platforms, I'll gladly take them and put them in the same place.

I need your help: There are some promo/demo disks/tapes that I couldn't find:
  • Zenith data systems Z-150 series (desktop systems with model numbers ZF-151-21, ZF-151-52, ZW-151-52)
  • Zenith data systems Z-160 series ("luggable" systems with model numbers ZFA-161-21, ZFA-161-52)
  • TRS-80 PC-2 Pocket Computer
If anyone has those, please get them to me; you can attach them to this thread, provide a shareable link, or upload them via anonymous FTP to ftp.oldskool.org in the /incoming directory.

Last edited:
Is the 25 demo the one on the starter disk? Shows pictures about how computers work and has like a puzzle game that moves pieces around with a photograph in the middle, etc..

If so I have that disk.

I think I was able to retrieve the Panasonic Sr Partner demo from a failing ST-238. The copy I have was written in basic and loaded with a batch file named demo.bat that contains "BASICA DEMOMENU/I". Panasonic's terminal software MTERM and the Diagnostics are also there.

I would love to find a copy of the in-store demo software for the Radioshack PC-2.

Link: ftp://major.butt.care/mirrors/DOS%20Software/Panasonic/

srpart0.jpg
srpart1.jpg

Is the 25 demo the one on the starter disk? Shows pictures about how computers work and has like a puzzle game that moves pieces around with a photograph in the middle, etc..

If it is called "Starter Disk" then that's a good bet that's the one. If you can make an image of it using either ImageDisk or some raw dump utility (here's one that runs in DOS), I can test it on a real PS/2 Model 25 and include it in the archive.

If it is called "Starter Disk" then that's a good bet that's the one. If you can make an image of it using either ImageDisk or some raw dump utility (here's one that runs in DOS), I can test it on a real PS/2 Model 25 and include it in the archive.

Yep, it was the Starter Disk, it sits in the little book with the cover of a lady putting a disk into a model 25 with a white background, the disk sits next to the Advanced Diagnostics disk.

I'll find the book and make an image right away.

Are application demos of any interest here?

I am very interested in those personally, however they don't fall under the scope of what I'm gathering, which are programs for demoing (or "starring") a specific computer. Winworld seems to be doing a good job of collecting application demos, though!

Here you go.

Brilliant, thanks! Haven't seen this in years. Updated the archive.

Brilliant, thanks! Haven't seen this in years. Updated the archive.

Glad to help. I have some other disks included with the model 25, but some of them wouldn't read, like the Productivity Pack. Not sure if it's a problem with the model 25's own drive, or if the disk has gone south for the winter.

Based on the IBM PS/2 Model 25 submission, I was able to track down others (PS/2 Model 25-286, PS/2 Model 30, PS/2 Model 30-286). I haven't tested them yet, but they're up there.

Still missing but highly desired:

• Corona Portable PC Model #PPC400-12
  • Zenith data systems Z-150 series (desktop systems with model numbers ZF-151-21, ZF-151-52, ZW-151-52)
  • Zenith data systems Z-160 series ("luggable" systems with model numbers ZFA-161-21, ZFA-161-52)
  • TRS-80 PC-2 Pocket Computer

Back