• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

the Singulariy

I got into an argument somewhere about the distinction between vintage and retro. I still think of retro as RE-creating something - a machine, an experience, etc.. whereas vintage is the original. The distinction is getting blurred... people use them interchangeably online and especially youtube.

As for the end of vintage computers... does anyone dare wager a guess on when we get there? I mean, this stuff was only designed to last several years.. and we're past the 40 year mark on a lot of it... with proper storage and correct use, is there any reason we can't stretch things out another 20+ years?

Vintage has long been used to denote any number of things belonging to one or more time frames. Retro in the context of computers seems to indicate some sort of reproduction. A Maxi C64 is retro but not vintage. People can use words any way they choose. And there comes a point when the whole language is ****ed to hell.

Well people CANT use language anyway they choose (without severe repercussions). And I believe we are already at that point with the language.

Well people CANT use language anyway they choose (without severe repercussions). And I believe we are already at that point with the language.

Isn't one of the main benefits of a language to convey one's thoughts?

But if people are too liberal with their usage, words lose their meanings. I once had an argument with a female co-worker who exclaimed "words can mean anything!". Well if words can mean anything, they mean nothing. Thankfully we have courts an d a legal system that doesn't agree with the notion. But even that is subject to decay, I could cite certain Supreme Court decisions.

Back