• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The sky is falling

We can fix that with a few simple bits of legislation:

1. Spamming is now a capital offense.
2. Any method of connecting to the internets is permitted as long as it is a dial-up modem over voice-grade lines.
3. No web page may have more than 50KB of content. Scofflaws will be punished with fines of $1 per byte in excess of the legal limit.

From the article:
YouTube recently announced it's discontinuing video delivery to certain geographies due to — ahem — lack of access capacity. And providers from telcos to cable companies are implementing "usage caps" to keep users from, er, consuming "too much" bandwidth.
What kind of proof is that? Not even remotely credible - that's what kind. YouTube is a large company and have it in their interest to say all kinds of things in order to move certain agendas ahead. They're not bound by any higher code of ethics than other companies. Show me some figures. Oh, and show me why I should believe those figures while you're at it. My guess is that YouTube is setting something up to prepare for a"tweak" to their business model. I've gotten similar internet services shut off to my area recently. We're sorry, etc. - if you wish to continue, etc. send us money, etc... YouTube would love a subscription model and their interaction with rights orginaizations like the RIAA is looming.

As for telcos implementing "usage caps", I think everyone understands the underlying politics there. That "problem" has been thoroughly debunked.

I'll save the IPv4 vs IPv6 rant for an article elsewhere. :p

Maybe http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7933565.stm is part of that speculation? The other content filtering is probably somewhat to do with strict internet access countries like China who loves to ban sites with non-approved content. (I googled the first link, anyone else can google the latter lol).

The internet caps are being tried out here and there, some ISPs are telling you a few aren't which is a bit crooked. TimeWarner Cable just tried starting their test here in Austin but I think had enough bitching they pushed it back to take in "considerations" http://www.betanews.com/article/Tes...d-cap-rescheduled-debates-continue/1239815400. Last URL we chatted about was here http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...after-outcry-time-warner-uncaps-the-tubes.ars

Anyway, I dislike both stands from a consumer point of view but of course I'm the consumer and don't pay whatever ginormous bill they do for me to fart around on the internet all the time. Just figured I already had a few links pointing to the references so I'd cite em.

- John

Well, I am sure feeling left out in the cold!! I have that satellite WildBlue internet. As we all likely know by now, they and Hughes both have "fair access policies" in place. In my case, it a "17GB rolling 30 day download limit and a 5GB upload limit".

Friends and neighbors, I went over my "FAP" yesterday by 1MB, yep, 17001MB rolling average. I managed to not cross the limit for 3 years straight. Of course, I couldn't download HD movies at 8GB apiece. The reason I got FAPPED was I downloaded the 64bit Win7 RC, which I have installed on this very machine and using currently. I then realized that I needed the 32bit for all the rest. I have been downloading pieces of the 2GB dvd image for literally days. As you can see, I screwed up yesterday and didn't pause the download soon enough.

The bottom line -- yes indeed, chuckcmagee coming to you on PeoplePC dialup at a blazing 28.8 baud. I do seem to get higher throughput than around 3K but I think that must be because of hardware compression.

I tried my Directv Video On Demand for about 1 day. It became clear quickly that even normal def movies were going to FAP me. End of Video on Demand around here. So....

My sky is NOT falling -- it has always been about 3 feet above the ground and remains there today.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm on cable and although the up/down ratio is nuts (20:1) - 10Mb/s down, 512Kb/s up, thereby limiting filesharing - I can hammer the connection 24/7 for downloads. Using ADSL is a different matter unless you are on one of the genuine "unlimited" packages. Out in the sticks it's rather limited I know, but in cabled areas you're OK ;)

A lot of the services in England rely on peer-to-peer including the BBC I-Player etc. - where you can watch things you missed. Don't know if you have similar services in the States with your TV companies?

BG

Back