• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinking about building an Apple I replica

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi guys,

I was thinking about building an Apple I replica from a kit, but I am not sure which one to choose yet.

It's either this one: http://www.achatz.nl/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=27
Or this one: http://www.brielcomputers.com/replica1.html

The Pro's and Con's between those, as far as I can see:
Replica 1:
1. Pro: USB port on the Replica 1
2. Pro: The ATX power supply connector.
3. Con: Needs an adapter for expansion cards.

A-One:
1. Pro: Has a standard expansion port.
2. Con: No USB
3. Con: No Ascii Keyboard connector (Just a detail really)

What do you guys think? Any experience with those?

The Replica-I have a book and what I think more user. It's not USB, it's a serial port over USB.
I think the Replica-I tries to capture the essence of the Apple-I, being a computer anyone could build and play with. And having the old style expansion ports on a separate board makes it a lot easier for DIYers to connect things to it.

So they are quite similar, I've gone for the Replica-I simply because of it's book and it being more diy and future friendly, and maybe exposed digital logic. I think, I'm not sure, but they seem to be hidden inside GALs or micro controllers on the a-one.

Okay, thanks for the information.

The book sounds like a cool plus, and I also like the fact that the digital logic is not hidden inside other chips.

Does the book come in a physical book or a downloadable PDF?

The book is by Tom Owad; Apple I Replica Creation: Back to the Garage. ISBN: 193183640X
It's quite neat because it includes both digital logic (with examples and homework), programming in BASIC and Assembly and a complete description of the Apple-I hardware and software (I think). Oh and the history and stories from people behind it, and a little about the homebrew computer club :)

I don't know what the A-One includes though.

That page is not the most recent replica 1, this is: http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=4

It does have an apple one slot, as well as the older replica 1 connector, so it's basically all pro.

I personally own the replica one TE, and love it. It's an amazing machine, a great learning platform with basic and an assembler built right in ROM. One thing I would advise, if you can, buy the CFFA1 card, you'll be glad you did.

Have fun with your replica!

Vince, you have some experience here. Which one would you pick? ;-) I'm sure they're both good but Vince is here on the board as well as his own forum site with I think a pretty good audience if you have trouble.. or us even here who quite a few members here have his kits as well.

Crap, it seems that I have to postpone this project for a month, as I just had to pay for some not-so-cheap airline tickets. Well, I can´t have it all in one go. I will just have to be patient.

Crap, it seems that I have to postpone this project for a month, as I just had to pay for some not-so-cheap airline tickets. Well, I can´t have it all in one go. I will just have to be patient.

Yeah unfortunately real life sometimes steps in and interferes with our fun. I hope what ever it is that you're having to buy airline tickets for is something that is also possible fun and not an emergency of some type. Whatever it is have a safe trip.

Dean

I'm not familiar with the A-One. But the nice thing about Vince Briel, of Replica 1 fame, is that he supports our hobby -- he's not just some guy trying to make a buck. Vince is a regular on this forum, and on cctalk too, plus he routinely exhibits at the Vintage Computer Festival events and donates prizes. For those reasons, we should all buy from him. He's one of us.

Back