• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T1000XE

It draws like 0.5A for a fraction of second. But I think it's like the other one I have running (the XE) that draws 0.5-0.7A (without/with hdd activity).

regulator

regulator

Without tearing it apart, I'd say that the +5V regulator is not regulating.
I don't know of an easy way to check it without tearing it apart. Does anyone have any schematics for it ?
patscc

I managed to make it work :D
I teared the keyboard apart, and found two faulty capacitors... on the bottom left side, there are lot of electrolytic capacitors, two of them , 120uF, were rusty, with their contacts full of stain and rust from some thing that looked to come out from them. I replaced the capacitors and voila! It worked.
Niceeeeee!
:D

F*ck! As I said in my previous post, I managed to boot the LE. As the Hard Disk was broken, I tried to boot it from floppy, but It didn't work. I teared apart the floppy drive, and saw that the belt was very lousy, so I cut a little piece from it, and then I glued it back with superglue. It working driving the motor by hand, so I reassembled it and put it in place. While doing this I noticed two another one capacitors leaking chemicals, so I replaced them with new ones.

Since I did this... the laptop is not working again.

When I press the power button, The leds go on, and then I get a long beep from the speaker, the screen turns on for a second with the cursor blinking, but then it turns off.

I checked all the solderings, I checked the main board and I get 5V in some places... It's driving me crazy :)
If anybody knows something about this, or has some schematics, repair manuals or the like... That will be great.
Tnks.

battery

battery

Have you tried connecting 6 volts to the battery terminals to see what happens ?
If the caps are dying, take a look at the RTC NiCD cell, should be a round yellow thingie behind the parallel port, it might be shorted.
patscc

Yeah, the battery trick is what i'm doing from the beggining, but you need 7.2V to make it work, if not the battery led complains (goes orange).
The two internal batteries are ok (it has two, one for the rtc and another one for the ram disk I guess).
I don't know what to do, yesterday it worked right... passed ram test, and waited for a boot floppy... several times :p

Lithium & Confusion

Lithium & Confusion

I think I screwed up. I think the RTC is actually a lithium cell, I can't remember of the top of my head if the other one (long one, right ?) is lithium or a rechargable NiCd.
I had it confused with a Tandy 1100 FD, where it's a 6-volt lead acid, and not a 7.2 volt NiCd.

I pulled out the wrong laptop. I'll try to get back to the storage unit by this weekend and to get a 1000LE to pull apart. That way, maybe I can shoot you some test points and voltages.

Not to ask a dumb question, but are you sure you replaced the caps with the correct ones & put them in the right way ?

Have you tried disconnecting the other two internal batteries ?

patscc

Forget me, It seems the laptop has a push button on the HD bay, and it has to be pressed for the computer to boot.
It's working now.
I managed to boot MSDOS once with tne fix I made to the floppy drive, but JUST once, the belt is in very bad shape... :p
Anybody knows where to get a floppy drive for this laptop?
Perhaps it's better to make a cable for the external interface...
Tnks for all the help anyway.

belt

belt

Just try getting a new belt. It's probably glazed.
Measure the length (including the part you cut out), derate by about 10% to account for stretch, measure the width, and look up some places that sell VCR & CD-player belts. I don't know your location or I might be able to recommend some.
patscc

Hi Folks

I'm working with one of this (T1000XE) anf I am having a Keyboard issue

The Keys: "0" (zero) "-" (dash) "p" "l" semicolon dot do not work :(

I put another keyboard but, no way, the same fault, I think the original keyboard works fine.

The batery pack is out (are there a replacement for the six cells?)

The Disk appears as write protected

trying to wirte a file it says:

write protect error writing drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail ?

Any hint?

Cheers

AP

Hi guys, I'm working again in this two computers, well, right now with the T1000XE.
I managed to make a cable to connect a standard PC floppy drive to the parallel port/ext floppy connector. I leave the pinout here for you and the way to make it:

You just need an standard PC flat floppy cable, a DB-25 male connector and a floppy drive of course.
Cut away the connector from the mainboard side of the floppy cable, and separate each cable leaving like 2" / 5cm free. Also strip a bit from the end on each wire.
Then you just have to solder following this table:

Code:
DB25    Flat Ribbon cable
----    -----------------
1         1
2         8
3         26
4         28
5         30
6         34
10        14
11        10
12        22
13        24
14        2
15        32
16        18
17        20

18        GND (ODDs)
.         .
.         .
.         .
25        GND (ODDs)

Odd wires from flat cable (1,3,5...33) are all GND. 
You have to connect them to pins 18..25 on DB-25 connector (all GND also)
I did it soldering two or three on each pin.

Then you have to connect the drive to the A: connector on flat cable (the one with the twisted cables), and to supply, I used a standard PC ATX supply for this. Also you have to run setup10.exe on the T1000XE (on the bios drive) and set the parallel port from printer to FDD-A, save and reboot.
If everything is ok, you can now boot from and use the external drive.

Pictures:

Forget the blue wire in this picture, it was wrong. The toshiba external drive uses a signal that is not present in a standard PC drive, but for normal use it has to be logic 0, so I soldered it to GND like in the table (DB25 pin 1 to wire 1).

Now, I have a problem. I was trying to install MS-DOS 6.22 on the internal HD, but if I install it and set the bios to boot from HD, it stalls in "starting ms-dos...". If I do a sys c: with the msdos 3.30 that comes in the ROM, it works and boots, but I tried with msdos 6.22 and also with 5.0 and it hangs just there. Weird because both of them boot from floppy.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

Back