• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Editor/Assembler -- Recommendations?

willowmoon93

Experienced Member
Hi everyone -- now that I know my TRS-80 Model I loads tapes good now, I'm looking at eventually tackling Z80 assembly language on it. Or on the III or the IV, I have those ones now too. Any recommendations as far as a good editor/assembler for it? I noticed that Radio Shack/Tandy put one out way back in the day, is that one a good choice?

Just so you know, I do have a couple of books on assembly language programming on the TRS-80, and also a couple of generalized Z80 books as well -- so I'm hoping that'll help me through the process.

Willow:

How about IBM MASM/ASM/LINK? I have a copy and it goes back to about 1987 - 5 1/4" DS/D D.

Any recommendations as far as a good editor/assembler for it? I noticed that Radio Shack/Tandy put one out way back in the day, is that one a good choice?

EDTASM was big in its day, particularly for cassette-based machine. But I would strongly recommend using a disk-based machine. Though I haven't done it - I imagine using a cassette machine to learn assembly would be painful! Invariably with assembly development, especially learning, re-boots/crashes are frequent & reloading EDTASM all the time from cassette will make you :mad:

I taught myself a/l only a few years ago on my Model III. I used EDAS (Misosys). Well worth the initial struggle (for me anyway) - you can do anything in a/l - it's so fast!

I downloaded these from Ira's site TRS-80.COM, but you can't do that anymore. I now use this French archive which has most software.

Philip

Yes, Microsoft also came out with it's own version called EDTASM+ (they may have even written the original Tandy version?).

I never used an editor/assembler in my System 80/Trs-80 days so I'm not much help with advice. There were a few of them though.

I did use a machine language monitor to alter binary code...mainly patches that were needed to get around the System 80's small differences.

Tez

Hi Willow
Check out trs-80.org.uk. There's a quarterly newletter issued there with a re-learn (or start) assembler series for you to get your teeth into. The ONLY assembler for the M1 is ZEN from Laurie Shields Software. Contact the site if you need a copy, I'm sure we can get one to you. Best of luck with your efforts.

Dustym

Radio Shack Editor Assembler

Radio Shack Editor Assembler

There was a radio shack editor assembler on cassette available back in the day(I used to have one- ex-wife pitched it) - I have been looking for one on EBay for a while, I don't know if the cassettes could survive this long. Send me email, I'll let you know if I find one - let me know if you find one...

I have IBM MASM/ASM/LINK on a 5.25 360KB floppy. The date is 08/31/87. It runs on 8088/V20.

RE: TRS-80 Editor/Assembler -- Recommendations?

Hi everyone -- now that I know my TRS-80 Model I loads tapes good now, I'm looking at eventually tackling Z80 assembly language on it. Or on the III or the IV, I have those ones now too. Any recommendations as far as a good editor/assembler for it? I noticed that Radio Shack/Tandy put one out way back in the day, is that one a good choice?

Just so you know, I do have a couple of books on assembly language programming on the TRS-80, and also a couple of generalized Z80 books as well -- so I'm hoping that'll help me through the process.

I always liked the original RS Series I EdtAsm - the manual was one of the best that I have seen for explaining exactly what happened with each and every assembly instruction.

There are other resources available that will provide better overviews of programming, but that is probably the best for defining ASM instructions. I still have one and refer to it occasionally.

Good luck,

Art

Back