• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model 100 Y2K Question

Leofan7

Hi. This is my first post here. Looks like a neat place.

I'm considering buying a TRS-80 model 100 from ebay, and I've been wondering about the Y2K issue I've heard about.

Does the Y2K bug in any way interfere with the scheduler program, since it deals with dates and such? Any help would be greatly appreceated. And if anyone has tips for a new model T owner, I would love to hear them. Thanks!:)

I use a much simpler BASIC solution that I found somewhere on daNet a few years back:

Code:
0 PRINT "SETUP v.0.02.10"
1 DEFSTRI:A=63789:I=DAY:GOSUB9:DAY=I
2 I=Date$:MID$(I,7)="04":GOSUB9:DATE=I
3 I=TIME$:GOSUB9:TIME$=I
4 PRINT "Y2K fix?";
5 IF INSTR("Yy", INPUT(1)) THEN POKE A,127:A+1,127
6 MENU
7 POWER CONT
9 PRINT "  " I CHR$(13);:INPUT I:RETURN

You may have to change the '04' in line 2 to the current year.

--T

Last edited:
You can use this: http://www.muppetlabs.com/~chris/model100/y2000.html

There are also upgrade ROMs you can get. Otherwise, just use 1979, which equals 2007.

Also, the 102 is a bit nicer if you can swing one of those.

The ROM is extremely simple to install. However, all it does is poke 20 where 19 appears. Doesn't really make it Y2K compatible.

The ROM for the T200 is a ROYAL P.I.S. Taking the 200 apart is not to be recommended at all! I did it once, and won't ever do it again if I can help it.

Curtis

Hi again and thanks for the tips. I just snagged a 102 off of eBay and it should come sometime this week, hopefully. I just have one more question.

I've been looking for stuff to to with the 100/102's built-in modem, but all I've found is BBS sites. Is there any other neat stuff I could do? I've heard you could check your e-mail, although very slowly. I can't wait till I get it and I'm just trying to make a list of to-do's for the day I get it. Thanks again!

Yes, if you have a shell account on a unix server that is able to communicate with the I-net, you can check your email, or even surf the web (with a text-only browser), provided that the shell server has the proper terminal defs for the M-100 (available somewhere on daNet) installed. Of course, the M-100 is being used as a dumb terminal in this case.

--T

Back