• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS 80 Model II LoTech adapter board - Beta

I can't seem to get my HD configuration to stick.

1. I run SYSGEN which should store my device configuration onto drive 0

IMG_0947.jpg

2. I reset the machine and get this garbage screen. I assume this is the boot ROM trying to boot the Hans01. You can even see the LSDOS messages scattered on the screen. I assume this is normal and that the Hans01 cannot handle boot from the DOM.

IMG_0948.jpg

3. I hit RPT-BRK as normal to boot from floppy and LSDOS boots but my HD configuration is lost.

IMG_0949.jpg

I can easily reattach the partition using SYSTEM(DRIVE=....,

I have done this with FreHD many times. Am I missing something?

@pski

The auto boot option is a Model 4 Io-tech-adapter property and is done by a modified bios rom
The modified ROM for the M4 is from Gazza.
There is no such a patch for the Model II boot rom

The best possible mode for the Model II is after setup a system, do a sysgen to drive 0.
You must boot from floppy and after the boot you can swap drive 0 and 4.

The Io-Tech works with a DOM, 2.5 " HD, 3.5 " HD, SD, etc. but mostly not with a CF card.

The best possible mode for the Model II is after setup a system, do a sysgen to drive 0.
You must boot from floppy and after the boot you can swap drive 0 and 4.

This is what I am doing, but it is not taking. See my photos.

I set up the HD. And it is configured and useable.
I run sysgen.
I reboot and the HD is no longer configured.

I can't seem to get my HD configuration to stick.

1. I run SYSGEN which should store my device configuration onto drive 0...Am I missing something?

Hmm, now this is a dusty memory indeed, but, for whatever reason, the LS-DOS 6.3.1A master disk is patched to not allow SYSGEN or AUTO; you have to patch it back to allow SYSGEN and AUTO; at least the label I affixed to my 'work' DSDD disk says that I patched it. My DSDD work disk is one of the ones Tim Mann imaged; likewise my SSDD work disk is available from Tim Mann's archive. I do not remember the exact incantation, but I think CFLAG$ bit 5 is involved. Execute a
Code:
MEMORY (ADD="C")
and see what it tells you (by default you should get an output of X'000A' from this command, interspersed among the other information that this command allways outputs). The bits are detailed in the software section of the Model 4 Tech Ref manual, but I'll summarize CFLAG$:
Code:
BIT 7: if set, @ERROR will transfer the Error Message string to (HL) instead of displaying it.
BIT 6: if set, do not display system error messages 0-62.
BIT 5: if set, sysgen is not allowed.
BIT 4: if set, @CMNDR will execute only system library commands.
BIT 3: if set @RUN is requested from either SET or SYSTEM(DRIVER= ) commands (status only, don't set)
BIT 2: if set, @KEYIN is executing due to request from SYS1 (status only, don't set)
BIT 1: if set, @CMNDR is executing.  Status only; reset by @EXIT and @CMNDI
BIT 0: if set, HIGH$ cannot be changed using @HIGH$.  Bit is reset by @EXIT and @CMNDI.

Only bits 7, 6, 5, 4, and 0 are supposed to be set by users.

EDIT: Here's a photo of my DSDD master, patched (along with another disk with an equally interesting OS on it.......) Also, as a further edit, the patch I performed was a disk-level patch that as I recall resets this bit in its boot-up location in either BOOT/SYS or SYS0/SYS (I don't recall off the top of my head which, I'll have to dig).
IMG_20150909_174114_500.jpg

Last edited:
First impression of the hans-02 as mentioned in posting #42.

Many thanks to Pascal, who did this nice job.

hans-02.jpg

Here's some more info on my loss of configuration issue.

If I boot the computer from being turned off (i know, never power on with a floppy in the drive, but the HxC seems to tolerate this for my testing), then LSDOS boots automatically from the floppy and **SYSGEN** runs and my HD configuration gets loaded. All is good.

If I reset the computer or type BOOT, then I get the garbled screen seen in post #41. When I press RPT/BRK the floppy boots but it never runs **SYSGEN** and the HD configuration is not loaded.

Also, @Iowen, running MEMORY (ADD="C") shows X'006C'

Thoughts?

Here's some more info on my loss of configuration issue.

If I boot the computer from being turned off (i know, never power on with a floppy in the drive, but the HxC seems to tolerate this for my testing), then LSDOS boots automatically from the floppy and **SYSGEN** runs and my HD configuration gets loaded. All is good.

If I reset the computer or type BOOT, then I get the garbled screen seen in post #41. When I press RPT/BRK the floppy boots but it never runs **SYSGEN** and the HD configuration is not loaded.

Also, @Iowen, running MEMORY (ADD="C") shows X'006C'

Thoughts?

BREAK is used during LS-DOS boot to suppress SYSGEN and AUTO. If you hold it the slightest bit too long it will stop the SYSGEN and AUTO.

X'006C' ? 0110 1100 means "Don't display system errors 0-62, sysgen is not allowed, @RUN from SET or SYSTEM(DRIVER=), @KEYIN from SYS1." Bits 2 and 1 may be somewhat random depending upon the exact timing of the pull by MEMORY of CFLAG$, I guess. But bit 5 shows sysgen disabled.

Can you run the memory command from a successful boot?

Ok, after a little more experimenting, if i press just BREAK or ESC at the garbage screen then SYSGEN runs! If I press RPT-BREAK then SYSGEN does not run. I never even thought to try just BREAK or ESC as RPT-BREAK is usually needed to boot from floppy on the MII.

IMG_0953.jpg

So, I think I'm all good to go now.

@Iowen, I ran MEMORY(ADD="C") after a successful boot and am still seeing X'006C'. However, SYSGEN is working fine now. Here is the screen.

IMG_0954.jpg

Ok, after a little more experimenting, if i press just BREAK or ESC at the garbage screen then SYSGEN runs! If I press RPT-BREAK then SYSGEN does not run....
So, I think I'm all good to go now.

That's excellent.

@Iowen, I ran MEMORY(ADD="C") after a successful boot and am still seeing X'006C'. However, SYSGEN is working fine now. Here is the screen....

That's odd. What image did you use as the starting point? Is it the one from Hans? Hans, where did your initial LS-DOS image come from?

I distinctly recall my pristine LS-DOS master disk from Misosys having SYSGEN disabled and a patch was required to be able to run SYSGEN at all. Bit 5 of CFLAG$ doesn't disable the reading of the CONFIG/SYS like BREAK during boot does, it disables (or at least it is supposed to disable) SYSGEN from executing and creating/overwriting CONFIG/SYS. The SYSGEN library command checks this bit before doing the SYSGEN (page 429 of Volume 2 of The Source, source file LIBSYSGEN/ASM, line number 890 in the TRSDOS 6.2 sources). Perhaps patching the SYSGEN library command in SYS8 was done to remove this check?

Some remarks on the above postings.

I made a system with two diskdrives :0 and :1
4 Harddisks, :4 :5 :6 and :7
Sysgen the system disk and make it write protect with a sticker.

I can boot, reset, run boot, etc. without problems.
After a boot I do a system swap :4 :0 if I need it.

If I execute memory(add="C") I get X'006C' = 108
I have LSDOS version 6.3.1.a

I can stop a boot with HOLD, BREAK and sometimes Esc. depends on how I got there.

I can't remeber where I got the image, but I believe at Tim Mann's site.

LSDOS doesn't work good when using a mix of SS and DS disks, sometimes track 0 get reformatted and cannot be repaired.
Reformatting the whole disk is the only option.

I expect to receive my hans-02 in 2 weeks.

Some remarks on the above postings.

I can't remember where I got the image, but I believe at Tim Mann's site.
Well, to the best of my knowledge there are four original images out there:
1.) The .IMD from Bill's site.
2.) The three .DMK's from Tim Mann's site, where one is billed as being a pristine disk from Fred Dolan and the other two are from me and are patched (apparently to ignore the 'no-sysgen' flag completely). The two from me have other utilities on them that the pristine disk does not. In particular, the single-sided disk from me has QFB/CMD, WD/DCT, WDFORMAT/CMD, and WDHDBTIN/CMD on it, along with ARC, and DiskDisk (DDFORM/CMD and DD/CMD). It would be really interesting if the pristine 6.3.1a disk from Fred is already patched, too.

I guess I need to step up my 8 inch Catweasel setup and image my own pristine Misosys distribution disk.....

LSDOS doesn't work good when using a mix of SS and DS disks, sometimes track 0 get reformatted and cannot be repaired.
Reformatting the whole disk is the only option.

Yes, this is one of the things that needs worked on.

I expect to receive my hans-02 in 2 weeks.

Excellent.

@Hans01, you mentioned patches for running Model 4 software on the Model II.

I have been looking but have not found them. Any pointers would be appreciated.

And just how should I temper my expectations. For instance, will MRAS and other Misosys tools for Model 4 run on the Model II?

@Hans01, you mentioned patches for running Model 4 software on the Model II....

The README/DOC file included on the LS-DOS disk itself includes some patches for a few programs, and includes program compatibility information.

And just how should I temper my expectations. For instance, will MRAS and other Misosys tools for Model 4 run on the Model II?

MRAS should work fine on the MII, as should EDAS/PRO-Create (EDAS was used to build the MII LS-DOS running on an MII under LS-DOS, after all).

For the benefit of the archive on the forums, here's what the Misosys README/DOC says:
The following MISOSYS software should run without alteration on LS-DOS 6.3.1:

LS-TBA
LS-FED II
LS-LED
LS-FM (can't make a bootable system disk)
LS-QFB (data disks only)
LS-COMP
BSORT/Mod324
LS-diskDISK
LS-Host/Term
DSM4
BEEP

The following software requires minor patching to run under LS-DOS 6.3.1:

LS-Utility Disk

The following LSI software will not run under LS-DOS 6.2:

OverDrive

The following PowerSoft software has been reported to run under LS-DOS 6.2,
possibly requiring patches or the latest release (contact PowerSoft for more
information:

PSCRIPT
ToolBelt
Backrest/Restore
WD drivers (no auto-boot) for RS or Bitech drives
PowerMail Plus
Tmerge

The following Radio Shack Model 4 software seems to run reasonably well under
LS-DOS 6.3.1:

SCRIPSIT (*not* SuperSCRIPSIT!)
VIDTEX Plus (minor patching required)
VisiCalc (will use the extra 64K if available)
MultiPlan
(most other software other than SuperSCRIPSIT and Double Duty should run, but
hasn't been tested)

If the programs in question only use SVC's they should work just fine. SuperSCRIPSIT and ScripsitPRO were some of the worst offenders to directly access hardware and bypass SVCs, so they should not work (I don't remember if I tried my copy of ScripsitPRO or not). Even though I had MRAS and MC on the model 4, I never tried it on the 12/16/6000, and when I sold my 4D I let my master disks for MRAS and MC go with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out the README/DOC. For some reason, this file is missing in the HANS01 image. The HANS01 image also has the following additional files as compared to the one from Bill D.s site:

COMP6/CMD
DD/CMD
DDFORM/CMD
DOMDR6/DCT
DOMFORM6/CMD
DUPE6/CMD
FED6/CMD
FILEMAP/CMD
LED6/CMD
QFB/CMD

I know what DOMDR6/DCT and DOMFORM6/CMD are used for obviously, but not sure on the others if they are just missing from Bill's copy or they are more customizations by Hans and/or others.

Also, HANS01 image does not ask for the time at boot.

I'd like to compare it to the versions from Tim Mann's site, but I'm having problems converting the DMKs to IMD using ImageDisk.

Would be great to get close to a pristine LS-DOS 6.3.1a, if there really is such a thing.

Thanks for pointing out the README/DOC. For some reason, this file is missing in the HANS01 image. The HANS01 image also has the following additional files as compared to the one from Bill D.s site:...
Would be great to get close to a pristine LS-DOS 6.3.1a, if there really is such a thing.

Ok, the list of files tells me that the Hans01 image is derived from my single-sided patched disk that I sent Tim in 1999. Some of those files were copied from my LS-DOS 6.2 disk, in particular QFB, FED6, DUPE6, COMP6, and LED6. DD and DDFORM comprise the DiskDisk package, and was originally supposed to ship with LS-DOS and TRSDOS 6, but Tandy pulled some of those utilities from the TRSDOS 6.2 that they actually shipped for the Model 4. I don't recall what FILEMAP was, though.

The image from Bill is as far as I know pristine. EDIT: Looking at Bill's post on the TRS-80 Yahoo group list back in May 2014 I see that that disk probably came from Roy Soltoff's collection, and could very well have been the actual master pristine disk.

I did do a dmk to imd convert, using dosbox under linux, but it has been a while since I did. There are some issues with the older images Tim had, but the current ones are cleaned up a bit and should convert fine.

EDIT: Also note that I am reading these images two ways: one, as IMD in current MESS, booted with the pristine disk from Bill; two, using sdltrs and Tim's xtrs8 driver that allows reading and writing the 8 inch images from the emulated model 4/4p in sdltrs/xtrs.

Oh, and as far as pristine LS-DOS 6.3.1a, here's a photo of my pristine distribution disk from Misosys:
IMG_20150911_170054_910.jpg

Last edited:
Great to know that Bill's disk is probably pristine. Thanks for all the info, @Iowen. Greatly appreciated.

Oh, and as far as pristine LS-DOS 6.3.1a, here's a photo of my pristine distribution disk from Misosys:

If you ever get the chance, it would be great if you could compare what is on that distribution disk with Bill's copy. Then we would know for sure if it is pristine. Here's the file list:

IMG_0957.jpg

@pski

If you have collected all the software that is not on the systemdisk and the patched Model 4 software, would
you be so kind to make this available in one or two images for all the Model II users.

Moving software from a Model 4 to a Model II can easily be done with the Lo-Tech adapter.
The harddisk image on the DOM is fully transparant to both computers.
(Dont forget to change the ic on the adapter when changing from computer or buy a second adapter.)

Back