• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Pocket Computer PC-1 (Sharp PC-1211)/PC-3 (PC-1250/1251) Software Library (& request for more software) - Full PDF scans and digital WAVs

FalconFour

Experienced Member
Just like the PC-2 thread, I wanted to put up a central thread for the PC-1 (/mostly PC-3) software, all in "stunning HD".

I recently acquired quite a collection of Pocket Computer software - actually came along with a bunch of hardware I've been refurbishing, testing, and selling (as I have fun repairing it but no room to collect it). I discovered that, while PC-2 software had been dumped since about 20 years ago, on the PC-1 side, no such repository seemed to exist.

In fact, it seems like the only one that ever got a proper "curation treatment" of any kind was the PC-2 - the rest (including any third party software) were left abandoned. I did find that some titles had been preserved piecemeal, and even one incredibly comprehensive dump of programs from a book, but nothing as far as an index or something with more proper documentation. In this era, the manual is practically essential to understand the context and usage of these programs - without the manual, the programs were often obtuse and hard to use. The context provided by the manuals really sets the stage!
So, I'm pulling together this thread as well, an effort to document _all_ the titles for the PC-1 and PC-2, quirky and shallow as they may be - hopefully it's my useful contribution to the internet's collective awareness of this odd old artifact of 1980-1984(ish) history.

Here is the list of software from floodgap - and the links to the comprehensive dumps from Internet Archive:

index.php

(Above: Tandy 1986 catalog)
1703572048683.png
1703572407873.png
(Above: RadioShack Computer Center Catalog (CCF-832, 1983), composite of sidebar)

1703572554606.png
(Above: The Aviation package was real! Ha. Radio Shack Computer Center Catalog (CCF-833, 1983))
1703572918655.png
(Above: would you believe I had to look this far to find Horse Race Analyst advertised anywhere? Radio Shack Microcomputers Catalog (RSC-8CC Canadian, 1983) - Seems like most ads only showed subsets of the library at any given time)

On the PC-1 side here, the collection is already fairly comprehensive! Just missing a few titles. I think it's fair to be open to third party titles as well, if anyone knows any to add to this "library"!

Was the PC-3 software compatible with the PC-1?
Yes, as per page 233 of the PC-3 owner's manual, the PC-3 can load and run PC-1 software from tape. The only issue when typing PC-1 software into the PC-3 is to make sure that you don't have anything that can be seen as "LPRINT" since the PC-3 has an LPRINT command and the PC-1 doesn't.

The PC-8 can also run PC-3 and PC-1 software, but has a smaller display (fewer characters) that needs to be taken into account. The PC-8 uses the same printer/cassette interface as the PC-3. A chart showing the extra commands available on the PC-3 starts on page 226.

PC-3 owner's manual is available here: https://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/publications/manuals-hardware-2/#pocket

Yep, PC-1 software works on the PC-3, though the PC-3 is much more capable (much faster/more efficient CPU, more extensive BASIC, and twice the RAM in most PC-3 builds), and of course the PC-1 software is written around the constraints of the PC-1. So it's less efficient and less functional than software that'd be written for the PC-3 itself... it's a dang shame Tandy seems to have given up on software so early! And from the looks of things, not much if any commercial software outside of Tandy was made -- though I'm sure that's not strictly the case, it's the current state of archival (dust bowl). Guess that tends to happen on a platform with a 2-4 year total existence.

The programs, with some modifications, can also be run on the Sharp PC-1262. 1350 & 1360. I've converted some of the games to run on these computers.

You have to look for the following in the source code:

Implied Multiplication. These can be tricky to find.

Instances of exponents such as E8. These will need to be changed to 1E8.

With these two changes, they should run okay on the 1262/1350/1360.

I did some testing with the changes on the Android App Pokecom.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

Back